Animal Warden service

The animal warden service is provided by the council to promote responsible dog ownership and to enforce local byelaws.

Animal Welfare Licensing Fees

Dog owners need to be aware of the laws regarding dogs, and take responsibility for their dog's actions. We would like to remind owners that under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 it is a criminal offence to allow a dog to be 'dangerously out of control' in a public place or a place where it is not permitted to be. 'Dangerously out of control' is defined as a dog that injures someone or when a person has reasonable apprehension of being bitten. Therefore, should a dog behave aggressively, chase or even jump up, it could be considered dangerously out of control.

If the 'dog is out of control' but not considered threatening or dangerous, the matter can be pursued under the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014.

In both cases, members of the public are advised to contact the Police and/or the Council's Animal Warden so that the complaint can be investigated.

Further information about the laws around dogs can be found on the Kennel Club website and via the link below:

Responsible Dog Ownership


Dog control orders

Dog control orders are now in place and penalty notices can be issued if owners fail to clean up after their dogs. Stray dogs will be collected if they are caught and contained.

Report a stray dog
Report dog fouling

Dog owners should be aware that their dog MUST be microchipped and wear a collar and tag when out in a public place. .

Microchipping can be done by the animal or dog warden by appointment.

The animal warden also inspects any premise that requires a license under animal related legislation such as dog breeding, boarding, riding establishments, and pet shops.

This is to ensure the welfare of the animals and the safety of the public in such places.

We do not have the power of access to deal with animal welfare issues in private dwellings, and if you have any concerns about any animal you should contact the RSPCA.

Presentations can be given to schools and other interested groups by arrangement.

The council has produced guidance for pet owners in times of emergency.

Download the council's pet evacuation guidance

You can discuss any of the above with the Animal Warden by calling UConnect on 01799 510510 or by emailing