Search site

Private Water Supplies

These are water supplies that come from a privately owned well, borehole or spring, rather than from the public mains. Under the Private Water Supply Regulations 2009 the council monitors these supplies according to the risk of them causing health problems.

Where a private water supply only serves a single household you can choose whether you would like us to monitor the quality of your water. We can offer two types of assessment: we can take a sample and have it tested for bacteria, pH, conductivity and turbidity; we can also carry out a risk assessment of your supply to identify any features that could result in contamination occurring, giving you an opportunity to put matters right before a problem results. We would charge you our reasonable costs for monitoring the water, subject to maximum charges set by the regulations.

For Private Water Supplies supplying more than one dwelling, or any commercial or public activity (such as business units, bed and breakfast accommodation, schools etc.) we are required to carry out a risk assessment. This will look at factors like the waters source, how well the source is protected, any possible source of contamination in the area, the condition of the pipe work, whether there is any treatment on the supply etc. How often we sample the water and the list of things we test it for will depend on the outcome of the risk assessment. It could mean as little as one sample every 5 years for low risk supplies.

Another change introduced by the regulations is that if your water does not meet the same standards as the public water supply, we will investigate the cause and require larger or commercial supplies to be improved. We will restrict the use of any supply which is found to be a potential danger to human health.

For further information, or to request sampling of a single household supply, contact Environmental Health.


Additional Information

► Read about the 2017 consultation on the updates to the public and private drinking water regulations


Contact the Environmental Health department