Search site

Council Tax Discounts and premiums relating to the property

With effect from the 1st April 2013 three new Local Authority set discounts and one premium were introduced by the Local Government Finance Act 2012.


As part of the Local Council Tax Support (LCTS) scheme all the discounts and premiums are reviewed annually.

  • Unoccupied/unfurnished properties: The discount will be 50% for the first 6 months
  • Unoccupied/unfurnished properties which require or are undergoing either major repair works or structural alterations. The discount will be 50% for the first 12 months
  • Local Council Tax Support: This is a means tested discount which could provide help in reducing your Council Tax if you are on a low income. Further information can be obtained by telephoning 01799 510510 or by logging onto our website on Payment may not be withheld pending your application for a LCTS discount
  • Long term empty property premium: For properties which have been empty for over 2 years an additional premium of up to 50% can be applied to the Council Tax liability. This will not affect properties owned by Service personnel or annexes. An additional 50% premium will be applied to the Council Tax liability. (i.e. 150%)

Council Tax Discount for Annexes

For annexes occupied as part of the main home by the owner or where the annexe is occupied by a qualifying relative, a 50% discount will apply after any other discount or reduction is applied to the Council Tax liability.

Does my annex qualify for a council tax discount?


Council Tax Flooding Relief

If you are a householder whose house has been flooded by the winter severe weather events you may consider asking your local authority for a discount from Council Tax.

Find out if you qualify and how to apply:

Council Tax Discount - Flooding due to adverse weather

Changes of circumstance

Any changes/corrections to your entitlement to any exemption or discount should be notified to the Council within 21 days. Failure to do so may result in a penalty fee of £70

Report a Change of Circumstances


If you have not been granted a Council Tax discount and you believe this decision is incorrect you are entitled to you may wish to make an appeal. If you make an appeal you must continue to pay the instalments shown on your Council Tax bill until a final decision is made.

Appealing a decision


Contact the Council Tax department