What to do if you can't pay your Council Tax bill

If you find at any time that you can't pay your full monthly instalment, don't just stop paying!

If you are behind with your payments, it is vital that you contact us as soon as possible. When you miss a Council Tax payment, you're in 'arrears' - this means you owe money to your council.

The longer you leave it and the debt builds up the harder it will be to make an acceptable arrangement to clear the debt.

You can choose to spread your payments over 12 months instead of the usual 10 months to reduce the amount you need to pay on each bill.

If your circumstances have changed you might also check if you and/or your property are eligible for a Council Tax discount or if you are eligible for Local Council Tax Support (formerly known as Council Tax Benefit).

Council Tax Discounts and Reductions

I think my Council Tax valuation is too high

Do I qualify for a Council Tax discount?

Do I qualify for Local Council Tax Support?


Paying Council Tax Arrears

  What happens if I don't pay my Council Tax bill?

If you have any queries regarding the Recovery Procedures, or you have received a notice from the Council please contact us. You can find details of how to contact us below.


Additional Information

More Information on Council Tax Arrears (Gov.uk)
Citizens Advice
National Debtline
Financial Management Advice
Help for those Suffering Financial Hardship

Contact the Council Tax and Recovery Department

Download Adobe Reader
The viewer that is needed to display the pdf document(s) is free and may be downloaded from the Adobe Website.