Appeal against your Council Tax Valuation Band

Check your Council Tax band (external link)

Council Tax bands in our area are not set by Uttlesford District Council but by the Valuation Office Agency. Council Tax is billed and collected by the local authority (Uttlesford District Council).

The valuation band is based on the price a property (including gardens, outbuildings, garages, etc) would have achieved if it had been sold on 1st April, 1991:

  • Band A ... up to £40,000
  • Band B ... £40,001 to £52,000
  • Band C ... £52,001 to £68,000
  • Band D ... £68,001 to £88,000
  • Band E ... £88,001 to £120,000
  • Band F ... £120,001 to £160,000
  • Band G ... £160,001 to £320,000
  • Band H ... £320,001 and above

Any rise or fall in the property's value due to general changes in the property market will not be a reason for changing your band, so the listing officer will not accept an appeal purely on this basis. Recent purchase prices are not necessarily adequate evidence for appeal.

Valuation Bands by Parish ►

If you think your Council Tax valuation band is wrong, you need to contact the Valuation Office Agency (VOA), not Uttlesford District Council.

Appeal against your Council Tax band (external link)

Appeal a council tax decision ►

Whilst you are making an appeal against your valuation band you must continue to pay your Council Tax as it is currently set. If your appeal is successful you will be entitled to a refund of any overpayment.