Appealing a Council Tax Decision

You can query your Council Tax bill if you think:

  • the council is sending bills to the wrong person

  • your home should be exempt from Council Tax

  • the amount on the bill is wrong; for example if you think you're entitled to a discount or relief

Appealing a decision

If you disagree with the council's decision not to award you a discount you can appeal against the decision. In the first stage of the appeal, you must write to us giving the reasons why you think your bill is wrong. We may ask you for more information to help us make a decision. After reviewing your details we will decide either:

  • that the bill is wrong and send you a new one
  • that the bill is right and explain why

If you think the council's decision is wrong, or if you don't hear anything from the council within two months of writing to them, you can appeal to your local Valuation Tribunal. This is an independent organisation that deals with Council Tax appeals. Contact the Valuation Tribunal who will send you an appeal form:

Valuation Tribunal Office
Hepworth House
2 Trafford Court

Telephone: 0300 123 2035
Facsimile: 01302 321447


Contact the Valuation Tribunal (external link)


If you want to appeal you must contact the Valuation Tribunal:

  • within two months of the council telling you its decision or
  • within four months from when you first wrote to the council, if you have heard nothing from them

Appeal hearings and decisions

It may be possible for the Tribunal to make a decision based on the information you have provided. Otherwise, the Tribunal will arrange an appeal hearing and send you a leaflet explaining the procedures for the hearing. Hearings don't usually last more than a day and it won't cost you anything unless you decide to employ someone like a solicitor to present your case.

If the Tribunal agrees with you, we will revise your bill and adjust your monthly payments.

If you are making a query or an appeal you must continue to pay your Council Tax as it is currently set. If your appeal is successful you will be entitled to a refund of any overpayment.