Council Tax Discounts - how do I know if I qualify?

Normally full council tax has to be paid if two or more adults over the age of eighteen live in your home.

Single Occupant Discount

If you live alone you will get a 25% discount. This is called a single resident discount. This discount would not be applicable if you have a spouse or partner who lives elsewhere for part of the time.

Apply for a single occupant discount


Your bill may be reduced if a permanently disabled person (whether an adult or child) lives in the home.

Council Tax Band reductions for people with disabilities

Other discounts

In addition, certain adults are not counted - they are 'disregarded'. If after 'disregarding' these people, only one adult is counted in your home, you will also get a 25% discount. If after disregarding these people, there are no persons over the age of eighteen then you will get a 50% discount.

What types of people can be disregarded?

The following are groups of people who are not counted for council tax purposes:

  • 18 year olds for whom Child Benefit is payable
  • Those under 20 who leave full-time education between 1 May and 31 October inclusive
  • People who are severely mentally impaired (a qualifying benefit such as Attendance Allowance or the middle or high level of the care component of the Disability Living Allowance must be in payment)
  • People living and being looked after in hospitals and residential care homes
  • Certain Carers and Care Workers (a qualifying benefit must be in payment such as Attendance Allowance or the highest or middle rate of the care component of the Disability Living Allowance. The person requiring care should not be a spouse partner or child under the age of eighteen, and be cared for at least 35 hours a week on average)
  • People staying in certain hostels or night shelters
  • People in prison or bail hostel
  • Members of religious communities in certain cases
  • USAF personnel and their non-UK dependents
  • Members (and dependants) of visiting forces
  • Persons with diplomatic privilege or immunity
  • Most full time Students (including DipHe in nursing) The Student must be required to attend the course for periods of at least 24 weeks in the year and be required to study for at least 21 hours per week, on average, when in attendance. Non-British spouses of students are also disregarded provided they do not have recourse to public funds and are prevented from taking paid employment
  • Hospital based Student Nurses
  • Youth Trainees aged under 25.
  • Apprentices training for a NVQ qualification and earning less than £195 per week

Do I qualify for Student or Trainee Discount?

How do I apply?

Claims for many of these discounts may be submitted online. Some of the application forms are also available to download and print directly from the website.

Apply for a Council Tax Discount

If you are unable to complete an online form and there is not a PDF version of the required form to download and print, please contact the Council using the contact details below:

Uttlesford District Council
London Road
Saffron Walden
CB11 4ER

Tel 01799 510510

or email

You should continue to pay your original bill whilst your application is being processed.

If your application is successful a revised Demand Notice will be sent to you detailing the discount and your revised Council Tax liability. It is your responsibility to notify the Council immediately you have a change in circumstances, which may affect your discount entitlement.


If you disagree with the Council's decision you do have the right of appeal. In the first instance you should write to the Council outlying the reasons for appeal. The Council has two months to respond to your appeal. If the appeal is turned down or you do not receive a reply from the Council you may be able to appeal to the Valuation Tribunal. Full details may be obtained from the Council Offices.

Appeal against a council tax decision