Private sector housing

Information for tenants and landlords on privately rented accommodation.

Manage your landlord account online

View your payment schedules, data about your tenants' claims and inform us of any changes using our Northgate Landlords portal.

You will need to login to use the portal. If you do not already have an account you'll need to contact our Benefits Team.


Housing standards in privately rented accommodation

Privately rented accommodation should be safe and healthy to live in. It must have a smoke alarm on each floor, and a carbon monoxide alarm if there is an open fire or solid fuel appliance. The electrical installation and any appliances provided by the landlord must be safe. The landlord must keep the property in good repair and maintain the plumbing, drainage, heating and hot water in working order.  Any furniture and furnishings provided by the landlord must be fire safe.

Landlords must provide tenants with a copy of the gas safety certificate each year (if there is gas at the property) and a copy of the Energy Performance Certificate (except for individually-let rooms in an HMO). For tenancies which started after April 1 2018 the energy rating should be E or above. This will apply to all residential tenancies from 1 April 2020.

If a deposit is paid, the landlord must protect it in an approved scheme and provide the tenant with the details. Landlords must also provide tenants with a copy of the government booklet How to Rent.

Additional regulations apply to Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs).


Additional information

► Landlord and tenant rights and responsibilities in the private rented sector

Fire safety in shared or rented accommodation