Uttlesford business development rate relief scheme
The District Council is recognized as being "open for business" and whenever possible encourages sustainable business growth. In a groundbreaking move the Council has created a discretionary business development rate relief scheme that provides additional discounts to eligible businesses.
Businesses eligible under this scheme
You can apply for a business rate discount if your business is:
- Relocating into Uttlesford from outside the District
- Already located in Uttlesford and you are enlarging your existing premises by building an additional new building or extension or moving to larger premises within Uttlesford
- Already located in Uttlesford are forced to move to another premises in Uttlesford for example your landlord no longer wishes your premises to be used for commercial use and does not extend your lease
- Moving into a premises that is a listed building and has been unoccupied for a minimum period of 6 months
In addition, where a planning permission has been granted within the District to build commercial workspace such as office space or light industrial and work on the construction of this workspace has not commenced a minimum of 18 months after granting of planning permission then this workspace would be eligible.
To be eligible your business must where applicable:
- Take premises with a rateable value of £12,500 or more;
- Have been trading for a minimum of one year;
- Have a minimum three year lease or own the freehold;
- Have not already received public financial assistance, or, if it has, then it must have been less than €200,000 or approximately £130,000 within the last three years "What is the maximum amount of relief I could gain from this scheme?" See the FAQs >>
The rate relief available
Businesses that are approved under the Business Development Rate Relief Scheme can receive up to 50% discretionary rate relief in the first year and up to 25% relief in the second year. Full rates would be payable from the third year onwards.
How to apply
You will need to complete the rate relief scheme application form available from:
Economic Development Officer
Uttlesford District Council, Council Offices
London Road, Saffron Walden
Tel: 01799 510521