Hackney carriages and private hire vehicles FAQs

Where can I get my vehicle inspected?

Please see the list of approved garages for vehicle testing.

When is a current MOT certificate needed?

For a hackney carriage vehicle, from when it is 1 year old and for a private hire vehicle from when it is 3 years old.

What if I have an accident

Please inform the Licensing Department within 72 hours by filling in accident report form (PDF) [225KB] and emailing it to licensing@uttlesford.gov.uk

What happens if I need to change my vehicle temporarily due to an accident or a mechanical fault?

Please read our Hackney carriage and private hire Temporary Vehicle Policy.

The use of a temporary vehicle may occur if:

  • Your  insurance company needs to apply for a temporary replacement licence
  • If you intend to use a courtesy car  
  • If you are purchasing or have use of another vehicle which you wish to be licensed

Please complete a  Temporary vehicle application form (PDF) [57KB] and email it to licensing@uttlesford.gov.uk