Coronavirus safety tips for taxi and private hire vehicle drivers
How to stay safe, maintain hygiene and how to get tested for coronavirus.
The Essex Residence Forum has put together a list of some things you can do to protect yourself and your passengers from coronavirus (COVID-19). These are based on the latest government guidance on working safely in a vehicle.
1. Be alert and assess the risks
- Think about your vehicle and your customers and how you can reduce the risks
- Consider installing a screen as these may be beneficial (check with our licensing team)
2. Maintain hygiene
- Regularly apply hand sanitiser or wash your hands for at least 20 seconds using soap and water
- Keep your vehicle clean and clean your driving area regularly including your steering wheel
- Clean surfaces you or others touch after every fare
- Wear a face covering - the kind you can easily make at home
3. Waiting for fares
- Remain in your car wherever possible
- (Out of your vehicle) keep your distance from people outside your household
4. Get tested
- As an essential worker you can get tested for COVID-19
- See government guidance on how to self-refer for a test
- Essex County Council have put together some guidance on coronavirus testing available in Essex, including who can get tested and where you can get a test
5. Stay healthy
- Your health matters
- Follow the NHS five steps to mental wellbeing
- We've also put together some guidance for staying physically and mentally well during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
The government has issued some guidance for people who work in or from vehicles, including couriers, mobile workers, lorry drivers, on-site transit and work vehicles, field forces and similar.