Coronavirus safety tips for taxi and private hire vehicle passengers
How to stay safe, maintain hygiene and how to make payments for your journey.
Your taxi drivers are ready whenever you need them. They are taking measures you keep you safe. Please follow these tips to keep them safe too (these tips are based on the latest government guidance on safer travel and have been put together by the Essex Residence Forum).
1. Follow the driver's advice
- You may be asked to sit in the back left-hand seat if travelling alone
- Face away from other passengers where possible
2. Keep your distance
- When waiting for a taxi, stay two metres (six feet) from people outside of your household
- Don't travel if you are experiencing coronavirus symptoms, self-isolating or clinically extremely vulnerable
3. Avoid physical contact
- Be aware of the surfaces you touch
4. Maintain hygiene
- At the end of your journey wash your hands for at least 20 seconds using soap and water or apply hand sanitiser
- Wear a face covering - the kind you can easily make at home
5. Make contactless payments
- Pay in advance or use a contactless card where you can
- If you can only use cash do not place it in the driver's hand; wash or wipe your hands before and after you've handled it
The government has issued some coronavirus (COVID-19): safer travel guidance for passengers.