Christmas Support Payment frequently asked questions

Questions and answers about the funding criteria for pubs that have been severely impacted over the Christmas period due to temporary local restrictions.


Who can apply for the Christmas Support Payment?

You can claim the Christmas Support Payment from us if you are an Uttlesford District Council Business Rates payer and your business meets ALL of the following criteria:

  • it is trading as a public house
  • it was registered for Business Rates on 30 November 2020
  • it would have been open and trading as normal on 30 November 2020 if it wasn't for the local restrictions
  • less than 50% of the business's income is from food sales

To make a claim you must be the Business Rates payer - that is the person named on the Business Rates bill. If the Business Rates bill is in the name of a company, the person that applies must hold a position of responsibility within the company and be authorised to make the claim on behalf of the business.

If you do not pay your Business Rates to us you can find your local council using the GOV.UK checker.

What is a 'public house'?

To be classed as a public house the business must:

  • be open to the general public
  • allow free entry other than when occasional entertainment is provided
  • allow drinking without requiring food to be consumed
  • permit drinks to be purchased at a bar

This will not include: restaurants, cafes, nightclubs, hotels, snack bars, guesthouses, boarding houses, sporting venues, music venues, festival sites, theatres, museums, exhibition halls, cinemas, concert halls and casinos. Although this list is not intended to be exhaustive.

How much will I receive?

If you qualify you will receive a one-off payment of £1000.

Your business may also be eligible for a Localised restriction support grant, but you will need to claim this separately.

How will the payments be made?

Payment will be made directly into the bank account matching the bank statement you provided with your claim. We are not able to make the payment into any other bank account or by cheque.

Tax on Christmas Support Payments

Grant income received by a business is taxable. The Christmas Support Payment will need to be included as income in the business's tax return.

State aid limits

Any business that has reached the limits of payments permissible under the De Minimis and the UK Covid-19 Temporary State Aid Framework will not be able to receive further grant funding.

This means that your business may not receive more than £735,650 in Covid-19 grant funding. Find out more about state aid.

If your business is not entitled to Christmas Support Payments

If your business is paid a grant that it is not entitled to the funding will be reclaimed, and any business caught falsifying their records to gain grant money will face prosecution.

Can I claim for more than one business?

You can claim for any business where you are the Business Rates payer, provided it meets the eligibility criteria and doesn't exceed state aid limits.

When does the scheme end?

This scheme covers the period from 2 December to 29 December 2020. Applications will be accepted until 31 January 2021.


Additional information

► Useful guidance and information on about the local restrictions in your area on GOV.UK

Coronavirus support for businesses on GOV.UK

► Latest NHS information and advice about Coronavirus