How can our community help
How you can help by making some lifestyle changes that will hugely benefit the environment.
We have now reached a global acceleration level where only worldwide government driven mass mobilization can save us from total extinction.
Making a green recovery plan should be everyone's sole focus.
We must stop wasting money on things that we know are harming the planet. By making some lifestyle changes, we will hugely benefit the environment.
You could consider:
- Switching to a green tariff and green pension
- Buying less meat and stick to plant-based food
- Supporting your local economy and small businesses
- Choosing environmentally conscious vendors
- Eating seasonal items
- Composting food waste
- Buying less and throw less items away
- Repair, recycle and reuse, whenever possible
- Turning off computers, lights, and appliances
- Using a washing line instead of a tumble dryer
- Insulating you home and transitioning to renewable power sources. Cleaner alternatives are solar and heat pumps
- Making sure the next car you purchase is electric and walk and cycle short distances
- Taking trains and buses instead of planes and use videoconferencing instead of business travel
- When you're replacing your petrol lawnmower, buy an electric (and hedge strimmer)
- Water scarcity could become a serious issue. Shower for 3 minutes and turn off your tap when you're cleaning your teeth. Purchase a water butt. Help our declining wildlife by leaving patches of lawn for rewilding and plant a tree for life.
Time is running out. It is essential that we make sure our children and ecosystems have a sustainable future. The extreme climatic conditions are sending out a clear message. We must act now before it's too late.
Let's make 2021 the year of climate action and smart environmental choices
Cllr Louise Pepper
Portfolio holder for Environment and Green Issues and Equalities