Start your business

If you are starting a new business you can find a wide range of advice and support services.

Thinking of starting your own business? There are a wide variety of support and advice agencies available to help you get your idea off the ground.

Please email us for your free Uttlesford Start-up Guide.

We have highlighted a few ideas here to get you started.


The setting up in business and self-employed pages on GOV.UK provide information, advice and support needed to start a business.

You can also apply for a government-backed Start Up Loan of £500 to £25,000 to start or grow your business. Unlike a business loan, this is an unsecured personal loan. You'll get free support and guidance to help write your business plan, and successful applicants get up to 12 months of free mentoring. Find out more about how to apply for a Start Up Loan on GOV.UK.

The BEST Growth Hub

The BEST Growth Hub should be the first port of call for anyone in Uttlesford looking to start a business.

Business navigators are available for free discussions via phone or email to answer your questions, provide advice and identify whether there are any possible funding streams that could help your business get off the ground.

You can find a range of recourses and start up advice on the BEST Growth Hub.

First Steps to Start-up Success

This business training workshop run by Colbea is split into two bite-sized sessions and will take you step-by-step through the process of setting up and structuring your business. It's all about getting started - how to prepare yourself and your finances, and exploring your business idea in depth. Fully funded by the North Essex Economic Board for Uttlesford residents.

Visit Colbea First Steps to find out more.

Business Support Helpline

Backed by the UK Government, the Business Support Helpline provides free, impartial business support and signposting services to businesses in England.

The service is available Monday to Friday from 9am - 6pm.

Phone: 0800 998 1098


Learn with Start Up Loans and the OU

A range of free, useful courses for start-ups - covering a whole host of business essentials. These courses are run in partnership with The Open University.

Find out more about courses from The Open University.

Guides to starting a business

As well as the partnership with the OU, Start Up Loans has published a series of guides on important areas of business including social media, marketing and SEO. These guides are designed to ensure all business owners have the resources they need to build and grow a successful business.

Licences and permits

You may need a licence or permit to run your business. Go to our Licences and permits section to find out how to apply.

Planning permission

You might need planning permission or building regulations approval for your business. Check our Planning and building control for more information.

Health and safety

Your business will have a legal duty to provide a safe and healthy place of work for your staff, customers, visitors and contractors. There is more advice and a simple guide for businesses on

Food businesses

When starting a new food business it is essential to obtain information on food safety regulations. We can help you with information on registering your food business, approved food business, food safety inspections and food safety training.

Business rates

Business rates are charged on commercial properties. Small businesses can get a discount called 'rate relief'.

Find out more on our Business rates section or Business rates relief page.

Business waste and recycling

If you are running a business you should either arrange a collection of their rubbish from your premises using a commercial contractor or you can contact us to join our  service.

Employing people

GOV.UK offers advice on employing staff for the first time.

Tax and National Insurance

The HMRC online learning course for people starting their own business can help with questions about tax, National Insurance, business records and expenses.

Keep in touch

It's important to keep up to date with information relevant to your business.

We regularly send out email newsletters on a range of topics, including ones specifically for local businesses. If you'd like to hear more from us you can sign up for our free business email newsletters.

Additional information

► Support and advice

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon