Spotlight on ... the British Business Bank
The British Business Bank a government-owned business development bank dedicated to making finance markets work better for smaller businesses.
Whether you're looking for finance to start a business, grow to the next level, or stay ahead of the competition, we're delivering greater volume and choice of finance.
What do we do?
Our aim is to make finance markets work better for small businesses in the UK at all stages of their development: starting up, scaling up and staying ahead.
How we do this
We are committed to helping all businesses to thrive. Here is what we aim to do:
- We will increase the supply of finance available to smaller businesses where markets don't work well
- We will help to create a more diverse finance market for smaller businesses, with a greater choice of options and providers
- We will encourage and enable SMEs to seek the finance best suited to their needs
- We will achieve this whilst managing taxpayer resources efficiently and within a robust risk management framework
- We will be the centre of expertise on smaller business finance in the UK, providing advice and support to Government
- We will identify and help to reduce imbalances in access to finance for smaller businesses across the UK
Who are we?
The British Business Bank is 100% Government owned, but independently managed. It brings expertise and Government money to the smaller business finance markets. We don't lend or invest directly. Instead we work with over 100 partners such as banks, leasing companies, venture capital funds and web-based platforms.
Businesses apply for finance through our partners who, because they work with us, can lend and invest more, especially to younger and faster growing companies.
In total we work through more than 100 finance partners in the market, and we will unlock up to £10 billion of new finance and bring greater choice and information on finance options to smaller businesses.
Finance options for small businesses
We have a range of finance guides and funding options for small businesses.