Guidance: Closing certain businesses and venues in England

MHCLG and the Cabinet Office have issued new guidance on the non-essential businesses and premises that must remain shut.

On 13 May the government updated the guidance for businesses and venues that must remain closed to members of the public.


Specified businesses and venues must remain closed while these restrictions are in place.


Exemptions include supermarkets, food shops, takeaways, pharmacies, petrol stations, garages, bicycle shops, banks, post offices, off-licences, public toilets and DIY/hardware shops.


All other businesses and venues can remain open but should be following current guidance from Public Health England. Please note that not all premises or businesses are being required to close but current guidance is that if employees can work from home then they should and that only essential travel should take place. Parks will remain open but only for individuals and households to exercise once a day. Communal spaces within parks such as playgrounds and football pitches will be closed.


Retail and public premises which we expect to remain open must:


  • Ensure a distance of two meters between customers and shop assistants; and
  • Let people enter the shop only in small groups, to ensure that spaces are not crowded
  • Queue control is required outside of shops and other essential premises that remain open

Home moving and work carried out in people's homes

There is updated separate guidance on home moving and associated activities during the coronavirus outbreak.


Complying with the regulations

 Please make sure that you check the guidance to clarify if you can continue trading or if you must close. 

Uttlesford District Council will look to offer advice guidance and support in the first instance but will use enforcement powers if required. These  powers may include prosecution, fines and the removal of any applicable licence.

If you want advice on if a business can continue to trade or have any other enquiries relating to this matter please contact the Environmental Health Team  via 01799 510510 or email the council at

You can also report businesses that are not complying with closure regulations using our form:

Report a business


Report a business behaving unfairly

The Competition and Marketing Authority (CMA) are leading on the government response to profiteering and needs to be informed of any businesses selling goods at excessive prices. If this is the incident you wish to report, you can complete this CMA's online reporting form.


Additional information

► Business continuity

► Ten top tips for business continuity

► For all latest news and updates follow MHCLG on Twitter