Search site

Bus Passes and Concessionary Fares

If you live in England and are of retirement age or an eligible disabled person, you are entitled to an English National Concessionary Bus Pass. Changes to the age requirement to be eligible for a concessionary bus pass were introduced by the Government in November 2011.

Applications for concessionary bus passes are now handled by Essex County Council.

Go to the Essex County Council website for information on how to:

  • check if you are eligible
  • apply for a bus pass
  • see when you can use your pass

Applying for a bus pass for the first time

Essex residents who are applying for an older persons or disabled persons bus pass for the first time, need to apply to Essex County Council. Residents can apply by:

  • downloading an application from
  • collecting an application form from their local libraries or from from the Uttlesford District Council offices
  • calling 0845 200 0388 for an application form or for assistance completing one

Once complete, please return the form to:
Essex ENCTS Pass
PO Box 212

Renewing a bus pass

Current pass holders who have passes due for renewal will be automatically sent replacements, rather than having to reapply. However, if pass holders have moved since their current pass was issued they should contact ECC on or by calling 0845 200 0388.

Where and when can I use my bus pass?

Bus passes can be used within Essex from 9am to midnight Monday to Friday and all day at weekends and Bank Holidays. Pass holders with severe disabilities are also entitled to a companion pass, allowing free travel on registered local bus services within Essex for one extra person accompanying them.

If you need help, please contact:
Essex County Council
Tel: 0845 200 0388
Minicom: 0845 200 1424