Open site navigation menu

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Advice and updates on the rapidly changing situation.

EU Settlement Scheme

If you are an EU national you'll have until 30 June to apply for settled status. Those without settled or pre-settled status may be unable to work, open a bank account, access healthcare or rent a home in the UK.

If you're an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021. The EEA includes the EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. You can also apply if you're the family member of an eligible person of Northern Ireland.


Advice for residents

If you are a European Union citizen, you and your family will be able to apply to get either settled or pre-settled status. You must usually have started living in the UK by 31 December 2020.


You can find  out how to Apply to the EU Settlement Scheme on GOV.UK. You can also sign up for email updates about the scheme.


Advice for businesses and employers

The EU Settlement Scheme allows your employees and their close family members to continue to live and work in the UK after EU Exit.


Using the scheme will mean that they are eligible for public services, such as healthcare and schools, public funds and pensions, and British citizenship, if they want to apply and meet the requirements.


You can use an Employer Toolkit to explain the scheme to your employees. It contains a range of ready to use leaflets and posters.


Additional information

► Factsheet on the EU Settlement Scheme


► The Europe Direct Information Centre has free advice and resources to citizens on immigration policy, such as the EU Settlement Scheme. 


Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon