Toggle menu

Cost of living support

Advice and support to help manage the rising cost of living.

Highway Ranger service

The Highway Rangers carry out minor works around the district such as clearing paths, trimming vegetation at the side of the road and cleaning signs.

We work in partnership with Essex County Council Highways to provide the Highway Ranger service. There is a team of two men and a van who can visit towns and villages to carry out minor works, such as trimming back overgrown vegetation on public footpaths and roadside verges or cleaning signs.

If you would like to ask the Highway Rangers to to do something you must contact your town or parish council. They will be able to put in a request to the Highway Rangers.

What can the Highway Rangers do

The Rangers can undertake a variety of minor maintenance works:

  • cleaning and minor repairs to non-electrical road signs
  • cleaning and minor repairs to street furniture
  • re-instatement of posts and bollards (minimal excavation)
  • trimming of vegetation and removal of cuttings
  • occasional grass cutting and strimming
  • cleaning and minor excavation of roadside water channels
  • clearing of weeds or vegetation from pavements
  • removing litter and small flytips from highway land
  • removing illegal signs and flyposting
  • minor block/flag paving repairs

The Rangers are not able to carry out more major repairs to roads and footpaths. These are dealt with directly by Essex Highways. You can report a problem on our Report a pothole, damaged road or footpath page. 


Additional information

Essex Highways