Highway Ranger service

The Highway Rangers to carry out minor works around the district such as clearing paths, trimming vegetation at the side of the road and cleaning signs.

Uttlesford District Council is working in partnership with Essex County Council Highways to provide the Highway Ranger service to the local community. This comprises a team of two men and a van. They will visit towns and villages on request to undertake minor works, such as trimming back overgrown vegetation on public footpaths and roadside verges.

If you would like to ask the Highway Rangers to to do something you must contact your local town or parish council. They will be able to put in a request to the Highway rangers.

Contact your town or parish council

What can the Highway Rangers do?

The Rangers can undertake a variety of minor maintenance works. 

  • Cleaning and minor repairs to non-electrical road signs
  • Cleaning and minor repairs to street furniture
  • Re-instatement of posts and bollards (minimal excavation)
  • Trimming of vegetation and removal of cuttings
  • Ad hoc grass cutting and strimming
  • Localised cleaning and minor excavation of roadside water channels
  • Clearing of weeds or vegetation from pavements
  • Removal of litter and small flytips from highway land
  • Removal of illegal signs and flyposting
  • Minor block/flag paving repairs

The Rangers are not able to carry out more major repairs to roads and footpaths. These are dealt with directly by Essex County Council. You can report a problem on our Road and footpath maintenance page. 


Additional information

Essex Highways