Properties exempt from Council Tax

  • full time students;

  • people who have a severe mental difficulty; or

  • people aged under 18.

There are some additional circumstances where a property may qualify for an exemption:

Empty properties

Currently empty properties are exempt if they:

  • are owned by a charity (these are exempt for up to six months);
  • are left empty by someone who has gone into prison;
  • are left empty by someone who has moved to give someone personal care, or has moved to receive personal care;
  • are waiting for probate or letters of administration to be granted (after someone has died) and for up to six months after;
  • have been repossessed;
  • are the responsibility of a trustee on behalf of someone who is bankrupt;
  • are owned or leased by foreign diplomats;
  • have no-one allowed to live in them by law; or
  • are waiting to be lived in by a minister of religion.

Forces barracks and married quarters are also exempt, and people living there will contribute to the cost of local services through a special arrangement with us.

How do I apply for an exemption?

Council tax discount online application forms

If the exemption application form is not available online, telephone us on 01799 510510.

Changes of circumstances

Any changes/corrections to your entitlement to any exemption or discount should be notified to the Council within 21 days. Failure to do so may result in a penalty fee of £70.

Report a change of circumstances


If you have not been granted a Council Tax exemption and you feel this is incorrect you can appeal in writing to the Council and we will review your application.

If you make an appeal you must continue to pay the instalments shown on your Council Tax bill until a final decision is made.

Appeal against a council tax decision