Commercial waste and recycling
Commercial and trade waste collections are not included within business rates payments.
The core responsibilities̀ under duty of care are as follows:
- By law all businesses have a responsibility to manage the waste they produce safely and responsibly ‐ this includes businesses operated from home
- Duty of care applies from the minute the waste is produced and it continues beyond collection by the licensed waste carrier until it is disposed of or recovered
- Businesses are responsible for checking how their licensed waste company deals with the waste and where it ends up
- Businesses should only give their waste to a carrier who holds a valid waste carriers licence
- All waste transfer notes should be retained for two years
- Hazardous wastes must be identified and then stored and disposed of correctly
- If items can be reused, repaired or recycled these avenues should be explored before disposal
- Waste must be stored appropriately until collection
Disposing of trade waste
For more information on about your duty of care concerning disposal of the waste generated by your business visit Right Waste, Right Place
Trade waste services from Uttlesford District Council
We provide a trade waste collection service for businesses. As a business, you can choose from a range of our disposal services.
Due to the closure of the Mechanical Biological Treatment Plant (MBT) (for poor performance) which used to process the trade waste, all waste from commercial and trade premises is deemed general waste. Uttlesford District Council cannot currently offer recycling to these premises . It is something that is being considered but not immediately available.
Features of this service
- Collections of various sized containers can be done on a weekly or fortnightly basis
- Open ended contract requiring 3 months notice to cancel or vary
- No VAT charged
Cost of the service
We can provide you with anything from small trade waste sacks right up to large heavy skips.