Grants and assistance for householders

There are a number of initiatives and grants available to help you keep warm.


- Green homes grant Local Authority Delivery Scheme

- Warm Homes Fund

- Warm Homes Essex

- ECO (Energy Company Obligation) and ECO Flex Grants for Energy Efficiency Improvements

- Heating oil

- Energy efficiency in listed buildings

- Further advice


Green Homes Grant Local Authority Delivery Scheme

If you're an Essex homeowner with a household income below £30,000, you may be eligible for up to £10,000 of work to make energy efficient improvements to your home.

This could include fitting loft insulation, cavity or solid wall insulation or energy efficient heating. The funding covers the entire cost of the improvements, up to £10,000.

Apply to the scheme

You can register your interest in the scheme on the Energy Saving Trust website.

Telephone: 0808 196 8255

The Energy Hub and Warmworks are delivering the scheme in Essex.


To be eligible for the scheme, you must:

If you have a household income above £30,000, you may still be eligible if you or someone in your household receives:

  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Carer's Allowance
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Constant Attendance Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Guaranteed Pension Credit
  • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Universal Credit
  • War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement
  • Working Tax Credit

Funding is also available for private landlords, local authority-owned properties and social housing, however a 33% contribution from the landlord is required and the maximum funding per property is £5,000.

Warm Homes Fund

We have been successful in receiving funding to install first time gas central heating systems in eligible properties across the Braintree, Uttlesford and Chelmsford districts.

Find out more about the heating grants on the Aran Group website.

Warm Homes Essex

Are you struggling to pay your energy or water bills?   Are you on a low income?  Is your home cold?  Do you have debts?  Do you have a health condition?  Would you like help maximising your income?

If you have answered "yes" to any of these questions, please call the Warm Homes Essex helpline on 0300 3033 789 or visit the Warm Homes Essex website.

ECO (Energy Company Obligation) and ECO Flex Grants for Energy Efficiency Improvements

The scheme is available to owner occupiers and private tenants who are in receipt of certain qualifying benefits and also those who are not in receipt of any benefits, but are on low incomes and vulnerable to the effects of living in a cold home.

Aran from Bury St Edmunds offer funding for loft, cavity wall, external wall insulation and room in the roof insulation. Aran also offer support for replacement boilers and is able to access partial funding for residents on qualifying benefits. Funding is also dependent on criteria and availability.

To arrange a survey, please contact Aran Services on 0800 5877795 or visit the Aran website.

Other installers also offer ECO grant funded works. We encourage you to ensure that any supplier or installer that you use is registered with Trustmark.

More information on this grant is available on the government-endorsed Simple Energy Advice website.

Our Flexible eligibility statement of intent - Energy Company Obligation (ECO) gives full details of the Flex scheme.

Heating oil

If you heat your home by oil, you are likely to make significant savings by joining an oil club.  By placing your order with other residents, you can buy oil in bulk and save money.

The Oil-Club

The Oil-Club is the largest heating oil club in the UK. You can use the Oil-Club site to search for a fuel deal or find a local oil club near you.

RCCE oil buying scheme

The Rural Community Council of Essex (RCCE) has a community oil buying scheme. There is no membership fee and the scheme is open to anyone who lives in Essex.

Details of how to join the RCCE oil buying scheme are on their website.

Energy efficiency in listed buildings

Listed and other historic or traditional buildings often present unique challenges when it comes to improving energy efficiency. We have put together a simple guide to energy efficiency and historic buildings.

Further advice

Energy Saving Trust

The Energy Saving Trust (EST) is a national organisation supported by the government to promote and provide independent advice on domestic energy efficiency including homes and private transport.

Visit the EST consumer website for general information.

Simple Energy Advice

The Simple Energy Advice site has been developed in conjunction with the Department for Business, Energy, and Industrial Strategy.

You can use the site to calculate the energy efficiency of your home, get advice on energy grants and find help with fitting a new heating system.