Elections and voting
Elections on 6 May
Elections will go ahead as planned on 6 May 2021. Additional measures will be in place to ensure your safety.
Contacting electoral services: Our electoral services team are now all working remotely and can be contacted by email or by telephone.
Poll cards are being sent around the 19 March to all households with registered voters. If you have not received a poll card by the 1 April it may be because you have not registered to vote at your address especially if you have moved within the last 6 months. Make sure you are registered by the legal deadline of Monday 19 April (midnight).
This year, for the safety of voters and polling officials the voting experience will be a little different. We are taking all reasonable practicable measures to make polling venues as safe as possible for our voters and staff based on national and local guidance:
- You will need to wear a face covering, unless you are exempt
- There may be a one way system in your station
- You may experience a small queue
- Please bring your own pen or pencil to mark your ballot paper - though the usual pencil will be provided if you don't
- If you do not already have one, and have any concerns or problem with attending in person, apply for a postal vote NOW
- You will be asked to sanitise your hands and respect social distancing
- Try and avoid busy times of the day such as between 6pm and 8pm and bear in mind that schools used as polling stations may still be open so try and avoid the start and end of the school day
Government guidance says:
- voting is a permitted, lawful reason to leave your house during general restrictions
- premises and business can open for the purposes of voting, counting of votes or associated activities
- Test and Trace is not required for polling stations
We are looking for people to work as canvass staff, poll clerks and presiding officers and to help with counting votes. If you are interested in becoming involved we would love to hear from you. You can find out more on our Casual election staff page.
Go straight to our other related services