Street signs and name plates

How to report faulty or missing street signs or name plates and how to apply for or change a street name plate.

We are responsible for new street name plates and for replacing existing street name plates on public highways within the district.

Apply for a new street name plate

We are responsible for ensuring that street name plates are provided and fitted in suitable positions.

In the case of a new development however, the developer is responsible for the erection of name plates to the council's specification.

Apply for a new street name plate

Report a damaged name plate

If a street name plate is damaged or missing you'll need to tell us. We can then arrange for it to be repaired or replaced.

Report a problem with a street name plate

Other road signs

Essex County Council deals with most other road signs:

  • finger posts
  • brown tourist signs
  • road signs such as 'Give Way' or round speed limit signs 

You should report a problem with a road sign to Essex Highways.