Toggle menu

Cost of living support

Financial advice and emotional support on how you can ease the cost of living squeeze.

Report a pothole, damaged road or footpath

How to report a pothole, broken drain cover or damaged kerb, footpath or not working street light.

If you notice a problem on your local streets, you can report it.

Most of our roads and footpaths are looked after by Essex Highways.


What you need to know

These are the road and footpath maintenance problems that you can report to Essex Highways:

  • pot hole or other road damage
  • path or footway problem
  • broken kerbs
  • bus shelter damage
  • damage to or other grass verge problems
  • damaged or incorrect signs
  • drainage problem on a road or path
  • highway or road lining defect
  • Public Right of Way (public footpath or bridleway) problem
  • signs, bollards or barriers damaged or missing
  • street lighting not working or damaged
  • trees or bushes overgrowing a path or road

You can find more information on roads streets and transport in the county on

Report a problem

If your query is about a pothole, streetlight, or other road issue, your will need to report it online to Essex Highways.

Report a highway problem

Check on something you have already reported

If you have already reported something, you can use the reference number or location to check for updates on how Essex Highways is dealing with it.

M11 motorway and the A120

Contact the Highways Agency to report an issue on the M11 motorway or the A120.

Check who owns the land

Sometimes you may find a problem on land that is not the responsibility of Essex Highways. You can search the Essex Property Asset Map (EPAM) (opens new window) to find information on property assets across owned by district councils, unitary authorities, Department for Transport and schools.