Report a pothole, damaged road or footpath

How to report a pothole, broken drain cover or damaged kerb, footpath or not working street light.

Most of our roads and footpaths are looked after by Essex Highways.

These are the road and footpath maintenance problems that you can report to them:

  • pot hole or other road damage
  • path or footway problem
  • broken kerbs
  • bus shelter damage
  • damage to or other grass verge problems
  • damaged or incorrect signs
  • drainage problem on a road ort path
  • highway or road lining defect
  • Public Right of Way (public footpath or bridleway) problem
  • signs, bollards or barriers damaged or missing
  • street lighting not working or damaged
  • trees or bushes overgrowing a path or road

Report a highway problem to Essex Highways

Check on something you have already reported

If you have already reported something, you can use the reference number or location to check for updates on how Essex Highways is dealing with it.

Motorways and the A120

Contact the Highways Agency to report an issue on the M11 motorway or the A120.

Highway Ranger service

Our Highway Rangers can carry out some minor works around the district such as clearing paths, trimming vegetation at the side of the road and cleaning signs.

If you would like to ask the Highway Rangers to to do something you must contact your local town or parish council. They will be able to put in a request to the Highway rangers.

Check who owns the land

Sometimes you may find a problem on land that is not the responsibility of Essex Highways. You can search The Essex Property Asset Map (EPAM) to find information on property assets across owned by district councils, unitary authorities, Department for Transport and schools.