Toggle menu

Cost of living support

Advice and support to help manage the rising cost of living.

Apply for a Temporary Events Notice

How to apply for a Temporary Event Notice.

You'll need to contact us for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) if you want to carry out a 'licensable activity' on unlicensed premises.

Licensable activity includes:

  • selling alcohol
  • serving alcohol to members of a private club
  • providing entertainment, such as music, dancing or indoor sporting events
  • serving hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am

The process of applying is formally known as 'serving' a Temporary Event Notice.

You'll also need a TEN if a particular licensable activity is not included in the terms of your existing licence, for example holding a wedding reception at a community centre.


You must be at least 18 to apply for a TEN.

Your event must:

  • have fewer than 500 people at all times - including staff running the event
  • last no more than 168 hours (7 days)

Number of notices you can apply for

You need a TEN for each event you hold on the same premises.

You can get up to 5 TENs a year. If you already have a personal licence to sell alcohol, you can be given up to 50 TENs a year.

A single premises can have up to 15 TENs applied for in one year, as long as the total length of the events is not more than 26 days.

If you're organising separate but consecutive events, there must be at least a 24 hour gap between them.


Before you start

Read our guidance on how to use our licensing online forms.

You can only apply for a TEN as an individual, not an organisation.

How to apply

You can apply using our online form or we have a Word form that you can download.

There's a £21.00 fee.

We will contact the police and environmental health for you.

You must apply at least 10 clear working days before your event.

Clear working days do not include the day we receive your application or the day of the event. Working days are Monday to Friday excluding bank holidays


Contact our customer services team to pay for your TEN.

Telephone: 01799 510510


Apply online

We apologise for the inconvenience but our online application form is currently unavailable. Please email a copy of the Word application form to the Licensing Team.

Download an application form

Apply using our Word application form.

Temporary Event Notice application form (Word doc) [62KB]

Send your completed form to:


Apply for a 'Late TEN'

The latest you can apply for a 'late TEN' is 5 clear working days before the event (but not earlier than 9 clear working days).

If you do not hold a personal licence, you can serve up to 2 late TENs per year. If you hold a personal licence, the limit is 10. Late TENs count towards the total number of permitted TENs.


We cannot refuse a notice unless the police or environmental health object to it. They must do this within 3 working days of receiving it. They can only object if they think your event could:

  • lead to crime and disorder
  • cause a public nuisance
  • be a threat to public safety
  • put children at risk of harm

If there's an objection, your council's licensing committee will hold a meeting (called a 'hearing') no later than 24 hours before the event (unless all parties agree that a hearing is not needed).

At the hearing, the committee will either approve, add conditions or reject the notice.

If the police or environmental health object to a late TEN, the notice will not be valid and you cannot hold the event.


If you disagree with the licensing committee's decision, you can appeal to your local magistrates' court. You must do this within 21 days, and at least 5 working days before the date of your event.

Displaying your notice

You must keep your TEN in a safe place where the event is held.

You must also display a copy of the notice where it can be easily seen.

Fines and penalties

You could be fined if you make any false statements in your application, or face prosecution if you breach the terms of the notice.

 If you do not have a TEN and carry out an activity that you should have a licence for (or allow your premises to be used for one), you can be fined, sent to prison for up to 6 months, or both.

Find out more about about TENs

Do I need a TEN

If you are not currently in possession of a premises licence or a club premises certificate and you plan to hold a temporary event that includes licensable activities, is less than 168 hours and there will be less than 500 attendees, you will need to apply for a temporary event notice.

If you are in possession of a premises licence or a club premises certificate and you want to hold an event that is not covered by your licence/certificate you will need to apply for a temporary event notice.

What do I do if my event will have more than 499 attendees

You will need to apply for either a premises licence or a club premises certificate. You can find further information on our pages licensing Act 2003 - Personal or Licensing Act 2003 - premises.

What do I do if my event is to last longer than 168 hours

You will need to apply for either a premises licence or a club premises certificate.

Do I need to be a personal licence holder to apply for a temporary event notice

No - even if one of your activities is the sale of alcohol, you can apply for five temporary event notices in a calendar year.  However, a personal licence holder can apply for 50 temporary event notices a year.

What do I do if my notice is lost or stolen

You must inform your issuing licensing authority in writing as soon as possible. You must also include the statutory fee of £10.50 for a copy of your temporary event notice. You cannot apply for a copy if a month has passed since the end of the event.