Toggle menu

Cost of living support

Financial advice and emotional support on how you can ease the cost of living squeeze.

Apply for a club premises certificate

How to apply for a club premises certificate.

You may need to apply for a club premises certificate if you're a social, sporting or political members club (like a working men's club or British Legion).

You need a certificate to:

  • sell or supply alcohol to members or guests
  • provide regulated entertainment, like musical performances, indoor sporting events or film screenings to members or guests

What the certificate allows

If your club holds a club premises certificate:

  • it may be able to supply alcohol to members and sell it to guests without the need for any member or employee to hold a personal licence - depending on what the certificate allows
  • it doesn't need to specify a Designated Premises Supervisor
  • police and licensing officers have more limited rights of entry because the premises are private


To qualify for a certificate, your club must make sure that:

  • it has premises that are occupied and used regularly for club purposes
  • alcohol and entertainment is only provided to members and their guests
  • only someone 18 or older who is nominated by the club can serve alcohol or buy it for the club
  • there is no arrangement for anyone to benefit financially from buying or selling alcohol
  • new members wait two days from their application before getting membership privileges
  • it is established and conducted in good faith
  • it has at least 25 members

You may have to pay Machine Games Duty on any gaming machines you have on your premises. Find out about Machine Games Duty on GOV.UK.

For further information, please read the following guidance from GOV.UK.

How to apply

  1. Download and complete the Club Premises Certificate application form
  2. Pay the license fee
  3. Send the completed forms and payment receipt to

Licence fees

To pay please calling 01799 510510 and request a receipt to submit together with your minor variation application form. You can also get in touch with us using alternative methods via our contact us page.

You'll be charged a fee that's based on the rateable value of the property.

You can check the rateable value of the premises on GOV.UK.

If your premises doesn't have a rateable value it will fall into the lowest fee band.

Renew your certificate

You will need pay an annual fee due on the anniversary date of when your premises certificate was granted.

Displaying your certificate

You must prominently display the club premises certificate in your club.

 Check with us if you need to display notice of your application before you get your club premises certificate. 

Fines and penalties

You can be jailed for up to 6 months and/or fined if you provide alcohol or entertainment without the necessary certificate or without following its conditions.

Licensing Act 2003 Policy

You are strongly advised to read our  Statement of Licensing Policy 2022-2027 (PDF) [872KB]  .

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon