Apply for a club premises certificate
How to apply for a club premises certificate.
You may need to apply for a club premises certificate if you're a social, sporting or political members club (like a working men's club or British Legion).
You need a certificate to:
- sell or supply alcohol to members or guests
- provide regulated entertainment, like musical performances, indoor sporting events or film screenings to members or guests
What the certificate allows
If your club holds a club premises certificate:
- it may be able to supply alcohol to members and sell it to guests without the need for any member or employee to hold a personal licence - depending on what the certificate allows
- it doesn't need to specify a Designated Premises Supervisor
- police and licensing officers have more limited rights of entry because the premises are private
To qualify for a certificate, your club must make sure that:
- it has premises that are occupied and used regularly for club purposes
- alcohol and entertainment is only provided to members and their guests
- only someone 18 or older who is nominated by the club can serve alcohol or buy it for the club
- there is no arrangement for anyone to benefit financially from buying or selling alcohol
- new members wait two days from their application before getting membership privileges
- it is established and conducted in good faith
- it has at least 25 members
You may have to pay Machine Games Duty on any gaming machines you have on your premises. Find out about Machine Games Duty on GOV.UK.
For further information, please read the following guidance from GOV.UK.
How to apply
- Download and complete the Club Premises Certificate application form
- Pay the license fee
- Send the completed forms and payment receipt to email@example.com.
To pay please calling 01799 510510 and request a receipt to submit together with your minor variation application form.
You'll be charged a fee that's based on the rateable value of the property.
You can check the rateable value of the premises on GOV.UK.
If your premises doesn't have a rateable value it will fall into the lowest fee band.
Renew your certificate
You will need pay an annual fee due on the anniversary date of when your premises certificate was granted.
Displaying your certificate
You must prominently display the club premises certificate in your club.
⚠ Check with us if you need to display notice of your application before you get your club premises certificate.
Fines and penalties
You can be jailed for up to 6 months and/or fined if you provide alcohol or entertainment without the necessary certificate or without following its conditions.