Parks and gardens
Find your nearest park or garden in the Uttlesford District.
There are a number of attractive parks and gardens in Uttlesford that you can visit. Find full details on the map.
Anglo-American Memorial Playing Field
Opened in 1954 as a memorial to the British and American airmen who served on bases in the area during World War 2, the Anglo-American Memorial Playing Field includes a small garden, recreational facilities and a brick-built war memorial, with the names of the dead inscribed on 26 stone plaques. This facility is looked after by Saffron Walden Town Council.
Audley End House
Audley End House is a largely early 17th-century country house outside Saffron Walden, Essex, England. It was once a prodigy house, a palace in all but name and renowned as one of the finest Jacobean houses in England. This facility is looked after by English Heritage.
Bridge End Gardens
Bridge End Gardens is a group of linked ornamental gardens in Saffron Walden, Essex, England. The gardens are listed Grade II* on the Register of Parks and Gardens. They are located off Church Street, close to the Fry Art Gallery. This facility is looked after by Saffron Walden Town Council.
Private park not open to the public. The house is now a hotel. The grade II* Italianate mansion was designed in 1871-73 by William Cockerell the younger. With the remains of gardens laid out in the same period by Alfred Parsons, surrounded by a park for which Charles Bridgeman prepared designs in 1720, altered at the end of the 18th century, possibly by Humphry Repton.
Hatfield Forest is a 403.2 hectare biological Site of Special Scientific Interest in Essex, three miles east of Bishop's Stortford. It is also a National Nature Reserve and a Nature Conservation area. This facility is looked after by the National Trust.
House and gardens used as a wedding and business venue. Quendon Hall is a grade I listed 16th to 17th century brick house standing in a park of nearly 100 acres. Formal gardens and a walled kitchen garden remain. Much of the original park is now agricultural land though remains of an oak avenue, planted in the 17the century to line the south drive can still be seen.
Saffron Walden Common
There has been an open common in the centre of Saffron Walden since Mediaeval times. Today, Saffron Walden Common is a green open space popular with picnickers, dog walkers and joggers. The largest turf labyrinth still surviving in Europe can be found on the eastern side. Children of all ages will enjoy following its winding path, or there is a nearby adventure playground. This facility is looked after by Saffron Walden Town Council.
Private park not open to the public. Shortgrove Park is a Grade II listed landscape park laid out by Lancelot Brown between the 1750s and 1770s overlying an early 18th century formal landscape surrounding the site of Shortgrove Hall, with mid 18th century walled gardens developed by William Chater in the 1860s.
Talliston House & Gardens
At midday on 6th October 1990 John Trevillian stepped into a three bedroom, semi-detached, ex-council house in Essex and started a personal journey that grew into a twenty-five year project: To take a standard English dwelling and transform it into a wonderland of inspirational locations, each set in a different time and place.
The Gardens of Easton Lodge
Easton Lodge was a Victorian Gothic style stately home to the west of Great Dunmow, Essex in England. The gardens were designed by Harold Peto in 1902 and include an Italianate garden, Japanese garden, formal lawns, flower beds and a rose walk. A restoration project to bring the gardens back to their former glory has been running since the since the late 1970s. This facility is looked after by the Gardens of Easton Lodge Preservation Trust.