Toggle menu

Cost of living support

Financial advice and emotional support on how you can ease the cost of living squeeze.

Event organisation and safety

What you will need to do to make sure that any event you are organising is safe and has the correct permissions.

If you are planning to hold an event you may need to apply for permission, such as a Temporary Event Notice, and to give us time to make all the assessments and to put in place the relevant legal requirements.

Find out if you need to apply

You will need to make an application for a Temporary Event Notice if you are planning to have:

  • sale by retail of alcohol
  • a performance of a play
  • an exhibition of a film
  • an indoor sporting event
  • a boxing or wrestling entertainment
  • a performance of live music
  • any playing of recorded music
  • dancing
  • any entertainment of a similar description to that falling within the performance of live music, the playing of recorded music and dancing
  • late night refreshment (hot food or hot drink between 11pm and 5am)

You will also need to consider if your event:

  • will have a impact on traffic or parking
  • takes place on Uttlesford District Council land
  • requires road closures or 'no waiting'
  • includes a lottery or raffle

Many activities don't need a licence or permissions, but if you are planning any of the above you may need to apply for the relevant licence or special permissions.

Plan and assemble information about your event

Planning everything out will help your event to run smoothly. Ideally you should make sure that you have:

  • Public Liability Insurance
  • risk assessments (particularly if you are using land owned by us)
  • an event plan
  • site map and details of how people can get to it
  • a traffic management plan (if you are expecting large numbers of people attending the event)  

GOV.UK has a very useful guide to organising a voluntary event which provides step by step instructions for planning and setting up events.

Make any applications that you need to hold the event

Our Licensing Team can advise you on what applications you might need to make.

Other things to think about

Health and safety

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) have set up a dedicated part of their website for event organisers on safety.

This website will help organisers run events safely. Others may also find the website useful; e.g. contractors, health and safety advisers and workers at events.

Making sure that food is safe

The Food Standards Agency has more information about food safety for voluntary and community events.   If you want to provide or sell food at an event from your home kitchen you should follow the guidance on our page and if you have invited food concessions along you might like to familiarise yourself with our information for .