Planning enforcement

Our planning enforcement officers will investigate any alleged breaches of planning control.

The district covers a large area of attractive countryside with many historic towns and villages. Pressure for development is high thus there is a constant need for the vigilant enforcement of planning control in the public interest in order to prevent damage to this valuable environment.

We serve enforcement notices when expedient in the public interest and has successfully taken court action against offenders, through the courts - whether criminal prosecution, or high court injunction.

The integrity of the development control process depends on the local planning authority's readiness to take effective enforcement action and the Government's support of enforcement action on appeal when unacceptable development occurs without planning permission.

Report a suspected breach of planning regulations

Appealing an enforcement notice

The council may send you an enforcement notice if you have built or changed something without planning permission.

You can make an appeal to the Planning Inspectorate against an enforcement notice if you own, rent or lawfully occupy the property or land it applies to.

Find how to appeal an enforcement notice on GOV.UK.

 You can also search for a case on the appeals casework portal.


Additional information

► Consequences of planning enforcement

► Means of control - planning enforcement

► Our planning enforcement powers

Icon for pdf Planning Enforcement Policy [372.63KB]