Toggle menu

Cost of living support

Advice and support to help manage the rising cost of living.

I am looking for supported housing

There are several supported housing projects in the district to which applicants can be referred.

Referrals are usually made by someone working with you; your suitability for the project will then be assessed.

The aim of the schemes is for applicants to be able to develop independent living skills. They are usually for a maximum of 18 months to 2 years.  The schemes are managed by housing associations. Residents will need to be able to pay the rent (usually with the help of some housing benefit) and service charge. The schemes will provide varying levels of staff support.

Supporting housing projects are available across Essex, but if you have a local connection to Uttlesford, you may be given the chance to move-on with priority on the waiting list. The Housing Options Team mostly help with referrals to the projects below. They also work closely with Social Care to ensure that young people facing homelessness are safely accommodated. If a young person cannot stay at home until able to live independently, there are supported housing projects in west Essex.

Bromfield House, Saffron Walden is managed by Genesis Housing Association and provides 18 units supporting people aged 16 to 55 who might otherwise be homeless and have low support needs. Applicants have their own bedroom and tenants share a kitchen, lounge and bathrooms. This scheme is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The Housing Options Team refer applicants to this scheme.  

Station Street, Saffron Walden is managed by Metropolitan Housing Association. The property has eight bedrooms, providing accommodation and support for people living with mental health problems. The age range is 18 to 60 years. Residents have their own room and share communal areas. This scheme provides a seven hours face-to-face support each week. Staff are available throughout the daytime and there is an on-call arrangement at night. Applications will need to be supported by the Community mental Health Team. 

Railway Meadow Young Parents Scheme, Ongar is a supported housing scheme offering 13 self-contained flats and specialised support for young parents aged 16-24. Parents need to have a baby under the age of 2 years or at least 20 weeks pregnant and be at risk of becoming homeless. The scheme aims to provide both young mothers and fathers with support, education and training to help them move on to living independently. The support focuses on developing good parenting skills, general life skills and skills to improve their chances of sustaining a tenancy in the future. Residents have their own flat and there is a communal playroom, kitchen and garden. Referrals are made through the Housing Options Team. 

Refuges are safe houses for victims of domestic abuse (and their children). You can stay, free from abuse when you decide to leave the person they are living with or are threatened or intimidated by an ex-partner. Refuges are only a short-term measure to ensure victims are given the support they need to stay safe when they move-on, some stay a few days, others a few months. The address and details of the refuge is kept secret and confidential to ensure its safety. You can find spaces in a refuge yourself or you can ask the council to find a place for you. Some refuges have self-contained family units but most will provide a room for you to share with your children if you have them. Communal areas will be shared with other residents and will probably include a kitchen, living room and possibly bathroom. Refuge staff will be available to provide support to help with: finding a new, safe home; budgeting and welfare benefits; accessing local health, community and cultural services ; finding nurseries and schools; gaining legal advice including accompanying to appointments and court; safety planning; training, education and employment.  

Suffolk County Council runs a Housing Related Support (HRS) Scheme for single homeless people. It will help if you have a local connection to Suffolk but If you don't then you may not be a priority for help but they do accept self-referrals from out of the area. If you would like to consider this option you can apply online.  


Contact Housing Options