Toggle menu

Cost of living support

Advice and support to help manage the rising cost of living.

I would like information on the help available from support services and charities

People that visit the Housing Options Team are generally in a very difficult situation which we recognise has a huge impact in many areas of your life. It is important to be able to access all of the support available to you during difficult times.

There are a whole range of support services for Uttlesford residents so it worth exploring anything you need help with when you talk to your Housing Options Officer, they will be able to refer you via Uttlesford Frontline which is a community project to link public services with the community.

If you are experiencing any problems with your health and wellbeing it is recommended that you share your problems with your GP. They are able to refer you onto other relevant services to help manage your condition.

Expand the links below to view information about other support services

  West Essex Alcohol and Drugs Service (ADAS)

offers counselling to people who are struggling with drug and alcohol problems. They offer one to one counselling, group work, Child and Family services, and a variety of recovery programmes.


  Citizens Advice

help to resolve your problems related to benefits, money, debt, relationships, housing, employment, legal, consumer and discrimination. They help by listening, explaining your options, making phone calls, writing letters, completing forms, negotiating on your behalf, directing you to other useful organisations, campaigning about unfairness. The service is free and open to anyone to use. In Uttlesford they can give advice face-to-face, over the phone and via email. Call, email or drop in to make an appointment.

The Saffron Walden office in Barnards Yard, CB11 4EB is open Monday to Friday, 9.30am-3.30pm. Wednesday is for money and debt advice by appointment only. In Great Dunmow at The Chestnuts, Suite 8, 4 Stortford Road, CM6 1DA the office open Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, 9.30am-3.30pm. Surgeries also operate in Thaxted (Monday) and Stansted Mountfitchet (Thursday) and are by appointment only .


 Civil Legal Advice (CLA) You might be able to get free and confidential advice from Civil Legal Advice (CLA) as part of legal aid if you're in England or Wales. If you're eligible, you can get help from CLA for problems including:

• debt, if your home is at risk

• housing, if you're homeless or at risk of being evicted

• domestic abuse

• separating from an abusive partner, when you're making arrangements for children or sorting out money and property

• a child being taken into care

• special education needs

• discrimination

• some child abduction cases

Essex Countrywide Traveller Unit provides help and advice to Gypsies, Travellers and Travelling Showmen across Essex. Assistance can be provided with education and schools, health, and fire safety, and information given on pitches throughout the district. Nikki Coates Outreach Worker can be contacted on 07979 857 149 or


Essex Social Care Children & Families Hub is the single contact point for anyone to request Early Help or Children Social Care support.

Call the Hub on 0345 603 7627.


  Mind in West Essex

provide community based mental health services across West Essex, they support people affected by mental ill health to make positive changes in their lives and to improve their emotional resilience.


  National Centre for Domestic Violence

provides a free, fast emergency injunction service to survivors of domestic violence regardless of their financial circumstances, race, gender or sexual orientation.


  Open Door Counselling

is a free and confidential service based in Saffron Walden for young people aged 13-26 living in Uttlesford and the greater surrounding area. At Open door you can share your thoughts: nothing is too big or too small to talk through with their counsellors.


 Open Road

is a charity that provides support for individuals affected by drugs and alcohol. Offering client based recovery with options of one-to-one sessions, structured recovery programmes, family support, M-PACT (Moving parents & children together) and needle/syringe programmes.

Peabody offer a free advice service at locations around Uttlesford on a drop-in basis, so there is no need to be referred or book an appointment. The team also offer a floating support service so they can visit you at home.

You can call them on 0800 288 8883; text on 07976 929 982 or email:


  The Princes Trust

believes that every young person should have the chance to embrace exciting opportunities. They help 11 to 30 year old who are unemployed or struggling at school to transform their lives; many of the young people they help are in, or leaving, care, facing issues such as homelessness or mental health issues, or have been in trouble with the law. Their free programmes give young people the practical and financial support they need to stabilise their lives. They help them develop key skills while boosting their confidence and motivation so they can continue to dream big.


  Safer Places

offers a range of different services to support you and guide you through an abusive relationship. If you think that you are suffering from domestic abuse then you probably are. It is important to remember domestic abuse takes many forms not just physical abuse.



offer a safe place for you to talk any time you like, in your own way - about whatever is getting to you. You do not have to be suicidal. You can call, email, text write or talk face-to-face.



helps millions of people every year struggling with bad housing or homelessness through their advice, support and legal services. They have one-to-one personalised help face-to-face, an online advice service with lots of expert information, offer free legal advice and run a free national helpline for people facing a housing crisis.



provides lifelong support to anyone who is currently serving or has ever served in the Royal Navy, the Royal Marines, the British Army or the Royal Air Force. They operate a free and confidential helpline and email service. Their trained volunteers can provide practical, emotional and financial support if and when you need it.


  Uttlesford District Council benefits support is available to anyone who may have a housing benefit, local housing tax support or universal credit query and lives or helps someone living in Uttlesford. You can access the service by contacting the Customer Service Centre

or visit an experienced adviser at the Dunmow Support Surgery every Tuesday between 9am and 12pm.


  The Uttlesford Foodbank

is designed to help individuals and families in crisis by providing free emergency food. The food parcel is intended to last for three days. You generally have to be referred by another agency - including Uttlesford District Council's Housing Options Team.

You may also request help directly. Once you have been referred you can collect your food or in exceptional circumstances delivered to you.



Contact Housing Options