Toggle menu

Cost of living support

Financial advice and emotional support on how you can ease the cost of living squeeze.

Housing grants and loans

Grants, loans and practical assistance to help home owners in receipt of income-related benefits carry out essential repairs and improve energy efficiency.

If you receive income-related benefits and you can't afford to keep your home in good repair we may be able to help you with a grant or loan.

You can also apply for a grant from us if you're disabled and need to make changes to your home.

Grants and loans

We have a range of grants, loans and practical assistance to help you to carry out essential repairs and improve the energy efficiency of your home. 

If we give you a grant you won't need to repay anything to us. If you need a larger amount of money we will offer you this as an interest-free loan which is secured against your property. You will only need to repay the loan when you sell the property or there is a change in ownership.


Winter resilience service

This is a free service to carry out quick and simple jobs up to a value of £400 to tackle immediate problems associated with the onset of winter.  It covers measures such as minor structural and heating repairs, unsafe pathways, insulation and draught-proofing.

The work will be done by the council's chosen contractors at no cost to you. 

A contribution of up to 50% towards the cost of servicing a boiler can also be included.

Emergency Safety and Security grant

This is a grant of up to £500 to make a property secure or for emergency works, for example after a break-in, storm or fire.

It is not payable for damage covered by your home insurance.

Disabled Gardening grant

This is a grant of up to £300 towards gardening services to help accessibility and prevent crime, for example cutting back hedges that obstruct pathways.

Park Homes grant

This is a grant of up to £3000 for energy efficiency measures and to remedy serious risks to health and safety in park homes.

The grant is means-tested but if you receive an income-related benefit you will automatically qualify for it.

Winter Resilience loan

This is a loan of up to £5000 to pay for energy efficiency measures such as:

  • insulation
  • central heating boilers
  • radiators
  • storage heaters

Additional funding may be available from energy companies and applicants will be expected to take advantage of this first.

Home Repairs loan

If you can't afford to keep your home safe, warm or weatherproof, you may be eligible for a Home Repairs loan.

About the loan

The Home Repairs loan will help you to:

  • carry out essential repairs to your house
  • live in a warm and comfortable home
  • make your home more secure

You can use it to repair or replace things like:

  • roofs, chimneys or drains
  • dangerous stairs or trip hazards
  • inadequate heating
  •  bathrooms
  • unsafe electrics


You can apply for an interest-free loan of up to £5000 towards essential repairs and to remedy serious risks to health and safety in your home.

Disabled Facilities Grant

If you're finding it difficult to move around your home, you may be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) to make changes to the property.


The Disabled Facility Grant is for adults and children who:

  • own and live in their own home in Leeds
  • are private tenants

Landlords can also apply for the grant.

If you are a council tenant you will need to contact our Housing Team who operate a separate scheme.


You can use the grant to help pay for adaptions to make it easier to move around and access your home. This can include:

  • improving access to rooms by installing stair lifts
  • building level access showers and wet rooms
  • putting in low level kitchens
  • installing external ramps, widening doors and putting in hardstanding

You will need an occupational therapy assessment to see if you are eligible.

Empty homes loans

You can apply for a loan from the PLACE scheme (Private Lease Agreements Converting Empties) to help make repairs and bring your empty property back into use.


How to apply

Contact our Environmental Health Team.

Telephone: 0I799 5I05I0


Additional information

You can find a summary of all the grants in the Home Repairs Assistance Policy (PDF) [484KB] .