Hackney carriage and private hire Temporary Vehicle Policy
Uttlesford District Council will issue licences to proprietors for temporary vehicles on occasions when their vehicle is involved in an accident or is unusable for mechanical reasons.
The following process should be followed by vehicle suppliers:
1. The vehicle supplied must be similar in type and class or better specified than the vehicle it is replacing. This vehicle must meet Uttlesford District Council's emissions standards.
2. The vehicle cannot be licensed by another authority at the same time.
3. The temporary vehicle will be licensed for a period that does not exceed six weeks.
4. An application form with payment details shall be completed and emailed to the licensing department firstname.lastname@example.org at least one working day prior to the day in which the vehicle is required. (payment can be made by card over the phone to 01799 510510).
5. The following documents will need to be emailed as attachments:
- V5 registration document
- Appropriate certificate of insurance
- Covering letter from the owner(s) of the vehicle authorising the driver(s) to use the vehicle as a hackney carriage or private hire vehicle
- A meter calibration certificate to the correct tariff (if applicable)
- Council test sheet
6. The fee shall be £100. The fee is payable at least one day prior to the issue of a licence.
7. A mechanical inspection shall be conducted by one of our approved workshops.
8. The plate from the vehicle being replaced must be returned to the licensing office prior to the plating of a temporary vehicle.
9. When licensing officers are satisfied that the vehicle is compliant and fit for use, a temporary plate shall will be issued to be fixed to the temporary vehicle.
10. At the end of the temporary vehicle hire period, the plate shall be returned to the licensing department prior to the original or new vehicle being plated.