What your Council Tax pays for
Read how the Council Tax you pay is distributed to provide essential services.
We collect your Council Tax and puts it into a separate fund called the collection fund.
The total of all precepts that will levied in Uttlesford in 2022/23 is £75,549,199. This results in an average total band D council tax of £1,965.60, an increase of £80.88 (4.29%) on the previous year.
What you will pay in 2022/23 for each part of your bill if you live in a band D property and how this has changed compared with what you paid in 2021/22.
|Authority||2022/23 band D £||Change compared with 2021/22 £|
|Essex County Council||1,410.12||+60.21 (+4.49%)|
|PFCC - Essex Fire||75.33||+1.44 (+1.95%)|
|PFCC - Essex Police||218.52||+9.90 (+4.79%)|
|Uttlesford District Council||166.61||+5.00 (+3.09%)|
|Town/Parish councils (average)||104.02||+4.24 (+4.25%)|
|Total Band D (average)||1,965.60||+80.88 (+4.29%)|
The tax base is the total number of properties in the district converted to "band D equivalents" using ratios defined by law as follows:
- a Band A dwelling pays 6/9ths of Band D
- a Band B dwelling pays 7/9ths of Band D
- a Band C dwelling pays 8/9ths of Band D
- a Band D dwelling pays 9/9ths of Band D
- a Band E dwelling pays 11/9ths of Band D
- a Band F dwelling pays 13/9ths of Band D
- a Band G dwelling pays 15/9ths of Band D
- a Band H dwelling pays 18/9ths of Band D
Where your Council Tax goes
Council Tax is calculated using the precept levels set for funds required by Essex County Council, Essex Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner Fire and Rescue Authority and the individual town and parish councils together with the Council Tax requirement set by Uttlesford District Council.
Uttlesford District Council keeps just under 9 pence in every pound of your council tax.
- Essex County Council met on 10 February 2022 and set their precept at £53,853,028. This results in a 2022/23 County Council Band D Council Tax of £1,401.12, an increase of £60.21 (4.49%). This comprises a 1% increase for the 2022/23 adult social care precept, 1.5% 2021/22 deferred adult social care precept and a 1.99% increase for the general county fund.
- Essex Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner Fire and Rescue Authority met on 3 February 2022 and set their precept at £2,895,361. This results in a 2022/23 PFCC Fire and Rescue Authority Band D Council Tax of £75.33, an increase of £1.44 (1.95%) on the previous year.
- The Police, Fire & Crime Commissioner for Essex - Policing and Community Safety set their precept on 3 February 2022 at £8,398,969. This results in a 2022/23 PFCC Police Authority Band D Council Tax of £218.52, an increase of £9.99 (4.79%) on the previous year.
- The town & parish councils' precepts are detailed in the
and total £3,998,069. This results in an average Town/Parish Council Band D Council Tax of £104.02, an average increase of £4.24 (4.25%) on the previous year.
- The Cabinet of Uttlesford District Council met on 10 and 14 February 2022 and decided to recommend a Council Tax Requirement of £6,403,772. Assuming this is approved by the Council on 22 February 2022, this results in a District Council Band D Council Tax of £166.61, an increase of £5.00 (3.09%) on the previous year.
The total of all precepts levied is therefore £75,549,199. This results in an average total Band D Council Tax of £1,965.60, an increase of £80.88 (4.29%) on the previous year.
Further information on Council Tax
Find out about the precept levels and funds required by Essex County Council, Essex Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner and some of out town and parish councils.