First Homes scheme: discounts for first-time buyers
First Homes is a new scheme designed to help local first time buyers and key workers onto the property ladder, by offering homes at a discount.
If you're a first-time buyer, you may be able buy a home in Uttlesford for 30% less than its market value. This offer is called the First Homes scheme.
The home can be:
- a new home built by a developer
- a home you buy from someone else who originally bought it as part of the scheme
There are some eligibility conditions that determine if you can apply for the scheme. We also have some local criteria that only apply in Uttlesford.
You must be:
- 18 or older
- a first-time buyer
- able to get a mortgage for at least half the price of the home
- buying the home as part of a household where total income is no more than £80,000
The property you are buying must also be your main residence.
To be eligible for properties in Uttlesford you must:
- be living and/or working within the Uttlesford district, or
- have close family connection to the Uttlesford district, or
- be due to commence employment within the Uttlesford district
Exemptions for armed forces and their families
You're exempt from council conditions about being an essential worker or living in the area if you're:
- a member of the armed forces
- the divorced or separated spouse or civil partner of a member of the armed forces
- a widow or widower of a deceased member of the armed forces (if their death was caused wholly or partly by their service)
- a veteran who left the armed forces in the last 5 years
You still need to meet other eligibility conditions.
How it works
You can look for new homes in your area that are advertised by developers as part of the First Homes scheme.
Contact the developer (or estate agent if you're buying from a previous First Homes buyer) and tell them you want to buy a First Home.
They'll help you to complete the application and then they will send it to us.
Find out more about the First Homes scheme on the Own Your Home website.