Toggle menu

Cost of living support

Financial advice and emotional support on how you can ease the cost of living squeeze.

Health and safety

Information and advice about health and safety at work and at home.


Health and safety at work

We are responsible for health and safety enforcement at most non-industrial workplaces premises in Uttlesford, such as:

  • catering
  • retail
  • wholesale distribution
  • warehousing
  • hotel and catering premises
  • offices
  • the consumer/leisure industries
  • cosmetic treatment businesses
  • and various other types of workplace

You can find more information about who enforces health and safety in different types of business premises (the enforcement allocation) on the Health and Safety executive (HSE) website.

What we do

Our the health and safety team:

  • carry out inspections of workplaces and to promote good health and safety practice to businesses through mailshots, leafleting or newsletters
  • investigate work-related accidents, certain dangerous incidents such as 'near misses' and cases of occupational ill health (RIDDOR)
  • respond and investigate complaints about working conditions and hazards in the workplace
  • respond to referrals from services or other organisations
  • give advice and guidance to new and existing businesses so they can meet their health and safety obligations
  • provide advice to employees, the self-employed and members of the public on work-related issues affecting health, safety and welfare
  • carry out the licensing and registration of skin piercing premises and other businesses

The Health and Safety Executive

The HSE is responsible for health and safety enforcement at larger industries, such as factories, farms, construction sites, hospitals and the railways.

To help businesses the HSE has put together a guide - Health and safety made simple.

This takes employers quickly through their basic health and safety duties describing "what to do" and "how to do it" including: 

  • appointing a competent health and safety adviser 
  • writing a health and safety policy 
  • completing risk assessments 
  • consulting with employees 
  • providing adequate levels of training and welfare facilities 
  • obtaining Employers' Liability Compulsory Insurance

Report accidents and illness

You must report certain workplace injuries, near-misses and cases of work-related disease (RIDDOR) to the HSE.

More information about RIDDOR - Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013.

Health and safety at home

We are not responsible for health and safety at home. You can find safety information, guidance on how to prevent accidents and what you should do in an emergency:


Additional information

Environmental Health Enforcement Policy (PDF) [409KB]

Uttlesford District Council Regulators Code Service Standard (PDF) [184KB]

Local authority enforcement allocation on the HSE website

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon