Toggle menu

Cost of living support

Financial advice and emotional support on how you can ease the cost of living squeeze.

Get help with making energy-saving improvements to your home: ECO4 and GBIS

Make your home cheaper, warmer and greener through funded energy-saving improvements.

If you are living in fuel poverty or on a low income and vulnerable to the effects of living in a cold home you may be able to get help with making energy-saving improvements to your home.

Any improvements can help you to keep you warmer while saving you money on your energy bills and reducing carbon emissions.

The Energy Company Obligation (ECO4) and  Great British Insulation Scheme (GBIS) can help with installing improvements such as:

  • heat pumps
  • insulation for walls, lofts and floors
  • new heating systems or repairs to existing heating
  • draughtproofing
  • solar energy installations


You may be able to get help from our local ECO4 or GBIS if you live in Essex and you're on a low income or are vulnerable to living in a cold home.

Energy performance

You can only apply if your property has an energy performance certificate rating (EPC) of D, E, F or G

Find information on energy certificates on GOV.UK.

Where you live

You must live in Essex and be one of the following:

  • homeowner
  • private tenant
  • landlord

If you are a landlord you may be asked to contribute towards the costs of any energy improvements. This will depend on the circumstances of the tenant at the qualifying property.

Other criteria

You must either:

  • have a gross household income of less than £31,000
  • be identified by Essex County Council as a vulnerable household which is not eligible under any other scheme

Medical referrals

You may also be considered eligible for the schemes if you are referred to us by a doctor or GP who has identified you as being:

  • on low-income
  • vulnerable with a health condition that may be impacted further by living in a cold home

How to apply

There are a number of different ways to apply or be referred to the schemes.

You must apply through our Managing Agents, Better Housing, Better Health (BHBH). We cannot accept any applications that are sent directly to us.

By telephone

You can call BHBH to apply.

Telephone: 0800 107 0044

Find out about call charges on GOV.UK


You can apply online using the BHBH application form.

Apply now

When you complete the application form

In the 'brief description of your enquiry' box you will need to enter: ECO4 and GBIS

You do not need to complete the section for referral partners.

After you've applied

If you are referred to us it does not mean that you will automatically get help with making energy-saving improvements to your home.

An advisor will call you to complete an eligibility assessment over the phone. This will include questions about the household and the residents occupying it. 


If you pass the eligibility assessment you will be told the name of the approved contractor. You will need to give consent for your data to be shared with them.


The contractor will then contact you to arrange and appointment for a survey on your property.

If you want to confirm the details of your contractor before you let them in your home you can contact BHBH on 0800 107 0044.


The contractor will advise you on what to install to make the best energy-saving improvements to your home.


If you decide to go ahead the contractor will contact you to discuss and arrange the works.


Ofgem has provided answers to some common questions about the Energy Company Obligation (ECO4) scheme.

Contact us

You can contact our Climate Change Team for help and advice.


Telephone: 01799 510510

You can also get in touch with us using alternative methods via our contact us page.


Useful pages

ECO4 and GBIS statement of intent (PDF) [229KB] on