Toggle menu

Cost of living support

Financial advice and emotional support on how you can ease the cost of living squeeze.

Home upgrade grant (HUG2)

Funding to improve the energy efficiency of your home if you are on a low income and are not connected to mains gas.

If you are on a low income and living in a home that is off the gas grid you may be able to get help with making energy-saving improvements to your home.

Any improvements can help you to keep you warmer while saving you money on your energy bills and reducing carbon emissions from fossil fuels.

The scheme can help with installing improvements such as:

  • new low-carbon heating systems such as heat pumps
  • insulation for walls, lofts and floors
  • new heating controls or an energy efficient hot water system helping you to only use heat when you need to
  • energy-efficient lighting which is cheaper to run


You can apply HUG2 scheme if you are a home owner or a private tenant.

Household income

You will be eligible if you:

  • have a gross household income of less than £36,000 a year
  • are receiving certain income-related means-tested benefits such as Universal Credit

Other criteria

Your home must be:

  • off the gas grid
  • have an energy performance certificate rating (EPC) of: D, E, F or G

Find information on energy certificates on GOV.UK.

How to apply

There are a number of different ways to apply to the scheme.

You cannot apply directly to us.

Apply through HUG portal

You can register your interest on the national HUG portal. You details will be sent onto Warmworks who are running the scheme for us.

Apply now

Apply through the Energy Savings Trust

You can also apply by calling the Energy Savings Trust.

Telephone: 0808 196 8255

Get referred

Citizen's Advice, GPs and NHS professional healthcare workers can identify and refer households to Warmworks.

They will send Warmworks a letter confirming that you have been identified as vulnerable to living in a cold off gas grid home.


You can contact our Climate Change Team for help and advice.


Telephone: 01799 510510

You can also get in touch with us using alternative methods via our contact us page.

After you've applied

If you are referred to Warmworks it does not mean that you will automatically get help with making energy-saving improvements to your home.

Check what happens when you apply.


Your application is sent to Warmworks from the HUG hub, by the Energy Savings Trust or your details are referred to us by Citizen's Advice, a GP or NHS professional healthcare worker.



Warmworks will need to confirm that your household meets the eligibility criteria for the HUG2 scheme.

You will be informed of the outcome of your assessment and what support may be available.

You will be advised at each stage what will be involved


Home assessment report

You will be sent an email or letter telling you about the improvements suggested for your home.


Suitability and agreement

A technical survey will be done to check your property is suitable for the improvements suggested.

A Home Owner Agreement will be provided highlighting the measures being offered within this scheme.

Warmworks' funding provider will check your application to ensure it meets the requirements of the scheme.



Works will be done by specialist installers.

The work may be checked independently to make sure quality standards are maintained.


Completion of the works

All paperwork (warranties, manuals and certificates) will be provided to you.

Warmworks will carry out a survey to make sure you are satisfied.


Enjoy your warm home

You can continue to improve your home to make it more energy efficient.