Toggle menu

Cost of living support

Financial advice and emotional support on how you can ease the cost of living squeeze.

Uttlesford self-build and custom housebuilding register

Join the self-build and custom housebuilding register, find out what we use the register for and how much self-building is happening in the district.

If you're interested in self or custom housebuilding, you can apply to join the Uttlesford register.

Join the register

 To join the register, you must:

  • be aged 18 years or over;
  • be a British Citizen, a national of an EEA State other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland;
  • satisfy any conditions set by the local authority (local eligibility criteria as set out below);
  • pay any fee required by the local authority to be entered in or to remain on the register (we do not charge any fees); and
  • be seeking (either alone or with others) to acquire a serviced plot of land in the area of the local authority for their own self-build and custom housebuilding

Local eligibility criteria

We also have set some local eligibility criteria.

We have set out our local eligibility criteria (based on the Housing Allocations Policy 2018) and in accordance with Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding Regulations 2016 .

You must demonstrate that meet the following local eligibility criteria that you:

  • have lived continuously in the Uttlesford District for the last three years (time spent away at University or college will count as living continuously within the district providing the applicant had previously lived in the district immediately prior to the start of their course)
  • are living outside of Uttlesford but have immediate family members who have lived in Uttlesford for the last 5 years and from whom they are receiving or giving substantial ongoing support
  • are living outside of Uttlesford but have been permanently employed in the Uttlesford District for a minimum of 3 years and working at least 24 hours per week


You won't need t prove that you have a local connection if you:

  • are an existing social housing tenants residing in the Uttlesford District
  • are an serving member of the regular forces or who have served in the regular forces and if your application is made within 5 years of the date of your discharge
  • have recently ceased or will cease to be entitled to reside in accommodation provided by the Ministry of Defence following the death of that person's spouse or civil partner where:
    • the spouse or civil partner has served in the regular forces; and
    • their death was attributable (wholly or partly) to that service
  • are serving or have served in the reserve forces and you are suffering from a serious injury, illness or disability which is attributable (wholly or partly) to that service and the application is made within 5 years of your discharge

Local eligibility criteria evidence

One or more of the following criteria must be met prior to the date of your application to join Part 1 of the register.

Live in the Uttlesford District

If you live in Uttlesford District, please provide documents dated within the last three months to prove your residency. You can submit any one of the following documents:

  • household utility bills
  • Council Tax bill
  • landlord contract
  • electoral register entry form

Have close family who live in Uttlesford District

If you have close family who currently live in Uttlesford District, please provide documentation of your relationship, and proof of family member's residency in the district dated in the last 3 months. You may show:

  • documentation of your relationship
  • marriage certificates
  • birth certificates


Proof of their residency, dated within the last 3 months

Work in Uttlesford District

If you have been permanently employed in the Uttlesford District for a minimum of 3 years and working at least 24 hours per week, please provide documents dated in the last 6 months to prove your employment.

Examples of what you can submit are:

  • HM Revenues & Customs tax documents
  • employment contract
  • written letter from your employer

How to join

You can join the register by completing our application form.

Self-build and custom housebuilding register application form (Word doc) [190KB]

Please return your application to

About the register

The register is split into Part 1 and Part 2.

Part 1

For entry on Part 1 of the register, applicants are required to meet the basic eligibility criteria and have a local connection to the area (applicants are required to provide evidence to show how they meet this).

We must consider the number of registrations recorded in Part1 when providing sufficient planning permissions to serviced plots to meet this demand.

Part 2

This part of the register will show general demand for custom and self-build. Applicants who meet the basic eligibility criteria only are entered on Part 2 of the register.

There is no obligation for the Council to provide a sufficient number of planning permissions to serviced plots for entries on Part 2. However, we will have regard to this general demand when carrying out planning and housing functions.

    What we use the register for

    This register will help us to understand the level of demand for self-build and custom-build homes, which will inform the planning and housing functions.

    Entry on the register will not guarantee that a suitable plot will be identified or become available. Applicants have to find their own plots on the open market.

    Applications for self-build and custom-build projects will require planning permission and will be assessed on their merits in line with the Local Plan policies and guidance.

    Annual progress reports

    Every year we publish an annual progress report showing how demand for self-building is being met within Uttlesford District.

    More information

    More information about self-build and custom housebuilding registers on GOV.UK.