Toggle menu

Cost of living support

Financial advice and emotional support on how you can ease the cost of living squeeze.

Self-build and custom housebuilding

All about self-building, what you need to do to join the local register and how to find available plots.

Help to Build: Making building your own home more affordable

The government has set up an equity loan scheme for people who want to self build or custom build their own home. Find out how to apply for a new government equity loan on GOV.UK.

If you decide to self-build your own home you organise the design and construction of the property from beginning to end, possibly working with an architect, contractor or a kit home company. If you want to start a custom housebuilding project a developer will take on the work and may find the land, manage the construction and arrange the funding for you.

This can include:

  • single detached homes on small plots
  • community self-build projects
  • blocks of apartments developed or renovated by a group of people

Proposals for self-build and custom housebuilding are subject to the same requirement for planning permission as other forms of housing.

The government also requires us to keep a register of people who are seeking to acquire land and to build their own home. More information about self-build and custom housebuilding projects on the Self-build Portal.

Uttlesford self-build and custom housebuilding register

Join the self-build and custom housebuilding register, find out what we use the register for and how much self-building is happening in the district

Self-build and custom housebuilding: progress reports

Every year we publish a report showing how demand for self-building is being met within Uttlesford District

Self-build and custom housebuilding plots

Find available plots or sites in Uttlesford for self-build and custom housebuilding projects