Toggle menu

Cost of living support

Financial advice and emotional support on how you can ease the cost of living squeeze.

Appeal a planning decision

If you disagree with a planning decision, you can appeal within 6 months of the date on the decision notice.

Appeals are considered by a planning inspector, appointed by the Secretary of State.

Most are handled in writing. Some are decided by a hearing before an inspector. A few are decided after a public inquiry.

When you can appeal

We make decisions on planning applications in the Uttlesford District.

You can appeal a planning decision if either:

  • you disagree with it
  • the decision was not made within 8 weeks (13 weeks for a major development, such as 10 or more dwellings or a building of more than 1,000 square metres)

Appeal a householder planning decision

Use the appeal a householder planning decision service on GOV.UK if you want to appeal a refused application for a smaller project, like an extension, conservatory or loft conversion.

Appeal a full planning decision

Use the appeal a full planning decision service on GOV.UK to appeal any of the following:

  • decisions made about bigger projects, like changing the use of a building or doing major structural work
  • planning permission conditions for any type of project

You can also appeal a listed building consent decision on GOV.UK.

Deadline for appealing

If you disagree with a decision, you must appeal within 6 months of the date on the decision notice issued by us.

If we did not make a decision within 8 weeks, you can appeal up to 6 months after the decision was due.

The deadline's earlier if you've received an enforcement notice - you must appeal within 28 days of the notice.

How to make an appeal

You will need to send a copy of your appeal, including all the supporting documents, to the Planning Inspectorate. You can do this either by post or online.

Documents you must provide with your appeal

You'll need to submit copies of:

  • your original application
  • the site ownership certificate
  • our decision notice - if we did not make a decision, you'll need to submit a copy of the letter acknowledging your application
  • all plans, drawings and documents you sent to us

You'll also need to submit:

  • a map of the surrounding area
  • any other documents that directly support your appeal, for example your full statement of case

Making a planning appeal  by post

You will need to send your documents to:

The Planning Inspectorate
Room 3/01 Kite Wing
Temple Quay House
2 The Square
Temple Quay
Bristol BS1 6PN

Their Customer Support Line telephones 0117 372 6372 are answered between 8am and 4.45pm Monday to Thursday and 8am to 4.30pm on a Friday. Outside of these times messages are received on voicemail.

Email address is: 

Making a planning appeal online

You can also make a planning appeal online using the Planning Inspectorate website.

Making an enforcement appeal online

If you've built or changed something without planning permission you may be sent an enforcement notice by us. You can appeal against an enforcement notice if you own, rent or lawfully occupy the property or land it applies to.


Additional information  - appeal guidance booklets

The Planning Inspectorate have published some guides that will provide you with assistance on various aspects of the appeal process.

For planning appeals

For enforcement appeals

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon