Toggle menu

Cost of living support

Financial advice and emotional support on how you can ease the cost of living squeeze.

Building control: when to contact us

You will need to check if you need building regulations approval before you construct or change buildings in certain ways.

When you will need approval

If you are carrying out building work it is very important that you make sure that the work complies with the building regulations.

If you are unsure you can also check the advice on when you need building regulations approval on GOV.UK.

Building regulations application

A building regulations application must be submitted before starting most building work, including works to the inside of a property. Sometimes you may need to make a building regulations application even if planning permission is not required. 

Some examples of work that you do need to tell us about:

  • installation of a new or replacement heating system or boiler, regardless of fuel type
  • installation of a new or replacement oil tank
  • installation of a bathroom if new plumbing is installed or existing plumbing is altered
  • installation of a fixed air conditioning system
  • addition of a radiator to an existing heating system (may not need notifying in some circumstances)
  • installation of a new or replacement fuse box (or consumer unit) or any new electrical circuit connected to the fuse box, and alterations to electrical installations around a bath or shower
  • replacement of window and door units
  • replacement of roof coverings on pitched and flat roofs

You could need approval, or to follow special rules, for other works not listed here. You can check if you are likely to need approval by using the Planning Portal common projects tool.

Please contact Uttlesford Building Control if you do not know if you need approval.

When you will not need approval

You will not need building regulations approval for some projects. There are exemptions works to porches, sheds and small garages.

Here are some examples of work that you do not need to tell us about:

  • most repairs, replacements and maintenance work (except replacements of combustion appliances, oil tanks, electrical fuse boxes or glazing units, which do need to be notified)
  • additional power points or lighting points or any other alterations to existing electrical circuits (except around baths and showers)
  • like-for-like replacements of baths, toilets, basins or sinks

You can check if you do not need approval on the Planning Portal.

Contact our Building Control team if you do not know if you need approval.

Use a competent person

You don't need to get approval yourself if you use someone registered with a competent person scheme.

Competent person schemes are a way for tradespeople to prove their ability to carry out certain work to required standards, instead of you applying for building regulations approval.

Find more about competent person schemes on GOV.UK.

Find a 'competent person'

Search the Competent Persons Register to find a tradesperson, or check that they belong to a scheme.

What we do

Our surveyors check plans and carry out site inspections to ensure that work complies with the requirements of the legislation. You will need to pay a fee for us to check your plans and make any site inspections as it is the government's intention that the service is self-financing.

You can request a site inspection by telephone or email. A same-day site visit is guaranteed if your request is made before 11am. However, in the case of unforeseen problems, a surveyor is guaranteed to be on site within one hour.