Toggle menu

Cost of living support

Financial advice and emotional support on how you can ease the cost of living squeeze.

Trees on council land

How to report a problem with a tree on land owned or managed by us and what to do if its on land owned by someone else.

We can deal with problems with trees on many of the properties and sites managed by us, but for trees on other land you'll need to contact the owner.

Who owns the land

Before you report the problem, you'll need to know who owns the land that the tree or hedge is on.

If the land is owned by us, Essex County Council or another public body can find who owns it by searching the Essex Property Asset Map (opens new window)  (EPAM).

You can identify land ownership regarding privately owned trees by contacting the land registry (

Report a problem with a tree

We're only responsible for trees on any land that we own or manage. 

We don't look after trees or hedges on private land, including land that is next to roads, public footpaths or pavements.  

Trees on Uttlesford District Council land

If a tree is causing an immediate danger you can call our Customer Service Team.

You can also report a problem with a tree on our land using our online service form.

Report an unsafe tree

Trees on the highway or a public footpath

Trees next to roads or footpaths are normally the responsibility of Essex County Council's Highway Department. 

Telephone: 08457 430430

Or you can report a problem with a tree or hedge next to roads or footpaths on the Essex Highways website.

Trees on town or parish council land

For trees in parish open spaces in Uttlesford you'll need to contact the clerk to the town or parish council.

Find contact details for town and parish councils.