Toggle menu

Cost of living support

Advice and support to help manage the rising cost of living.

Private renting

Most privately rented accommodation is let through letting agents and there are many across the District and surrounding areas.

Letting agents usually need you to register with them which is free, but there will be other charges before moving in to a property.


Finding property to rent

The following suggestions may help you to find a suitable property to rent privately:

  • Caridon Property - We do know that Caridon Property agents accept benefits and have property in Harlow and can be contacted on 0203 307 0555.
  • Shop windows, community notice boards -You can find property to rent advertised in shop windows and community notice boards, such as post offices, village shops or in supermarkets.
  • Local newspapers - some newspapers carry adverts for accommodation.
  • Online sites that advertise property to rent:  Zoopla, Rightmove, Prime Location, OnTheMarket and Gumtree. You may also find a place to live by joining local Facebook groups.
  • The King Edward VI Almshouses - provide accommodation for home-seekers in housing need and living on a low income in the Saffron Walden area. There is a variety of one- and two-bedroom accommodations. Vacancies are advertised on their website, their social media, and in the local press. They can also be contacted on 01799 513914 and
  • Renting a room in a property - this approach is becoming increasingly popular. In some house shares you can rent a room in the owner's house, and possibly share kitchen and other facilities with the owners. In others, you have your own en-suite kitchen and bathroom. Some of the online sites advertising rooms to rent are: spareroom; roomlala; roomgo.
  • House shares - where you could share a house with other housemates. In this instance you would rent a room and share all communal areas together.


Unfortunately, there are not enough affordable places to go around but you can do some things to improve your own chances. Here are some suggestions to help you.

It is crucial that you are confident at managing your income and expenditure.

 Find out more about what you may be able to do ► .

Think about how far you can move because you may find somewhere more affordable in another area. The average cost of a home is higher than many people can afford. So, it is common practice for people living in the Uttlesford towns to expand their search for a home to rent or buy. . 

Explain your situation to them in writing, demonstrate how you have taken responsibility and visit them to introduce yourself and talk about what they may have available. Letting agents can choose who they think will make the best tenant because so many people want to rent. They need to ensure the person they let to has a good credit history, will pay the rent on time, will look after the condition of the property, and will not cause any anti-social behaviour. . 

Talk to family, friends and work colleagues: ask them to spread the word and look out for opportunities for you too. It may be someone that hasn't considered renting a room, annex or property will be willing to do so. You may find others to share a house with.  


How to rent

GOV.UK has put together a checklist for anyone renting in England. This guide is for people who are renting a home privately under an assured shorthold tenancy, either direct from a landlord or through a letting agency.

Deposits and rent in advance

Most private landlords before letting a house or a room require a deposit; usually equivalent to one month's rent. This money is held as security against any non-payment of rent or any damage to the property.

  • Your landlord should place this deposit in a tenancy deposit scheme and give you a certificate to show that this has been done.
  • Your landlord cannot serve you a notice to leave the property unless the deposit has been placed in a tenancy deposit scheme.
  • The deposit is refundable and should be returned to you when you leave the property providing all the rent has been paid and that you have not caused any damage to the property or its contents.
  • The costs of any damage or any rent arrears will be deducted from your deposit.


►  More information about the Council's rent deposit scheme.


►  Contact Housing Options | ► Frequently Asked Questions | ► Help paying your Council Tax, rent and bills