Toggle menu

Cost of living support

Advice and support to help manage the rising cost of living.

Compliments, suggestions and complaints: frequently asked questions

We want to make sure that we provide you with the best service but we do recognise that sometimes things go wrong.

When they do, we want to deal with the problem as quickly as possible to take appropriate action to prevent similar occurrences in the future.

How can I contact the council?

You can contact us to make a:

  • compliment
  • suggestion
  • complaint


Telephone: 01799 510510

Online form

Complete a complaints form


 Address your letter to the relevant manager at:

Uttlesford District Council, Council Offices, London Road, Saffron Walden CB11 4ER

How can I make a complaint?

We have a number of stages that we will follow to investigate your complaint.

In the first instance you should try to resolve the matter informally by talking to the member of staff you were dealing with on the query. If this does not resolve the issue you can ask for the name of their manager and contact them with your complaint.

Once the manager has responded, if you are still unhappy with the way your complaint has been dealt with you can write to the relevant assistant director.

Your complaint will be investigated further in line with our Compliments, suggestions and complaints policy

How quickly will the council respond?

Where possible we will complete each of the stages to investigate your complaint within 10 working days.

If we need further information we will contact you.

What happens if I am not satisfied with the council's response?

When our complaints procedure is completed, if you are still not satisfied and wish to pursue the matter further, you can contact the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman or the Housing Ombudsman. Their role is to deal with complaints of maladministration.

You can find further information on making a complaint on the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman website or the make a complaint page on the Housing Ombudsman website.

We also welcome your views on how to improve the service we provide.

Abusive, persistent or vexatious complaints

We ask that when you make a complaint you treat our staff with courtesy and respect. You'll also need to make sure that your contact with us is proportionate.

Our Abusive, persistent or vexatious complaints policy sets out the steps we will take in the event of a complaint not meeting these expectations.


Additional information

Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman Annual Review Letters