Toggle menu

Cost of living support

Financial advice and emotional support on how you can ease the cost of living squeeze.

Compliments, suggestions and complaints

We aim to provide you with a high-quality service and welcome all feedback about the services that we provide and how they could be improved.

If you have a compliment, a suggestion or a complaint about any service we provide, please let us know. We will do our best to put the matter right and make sure we improve the service we provide. We would also like to know if you are pleased with the service provided. We can inform our staff and use the information to improve our services.

If you have a complaint

In the first instance you should try to resolve the matter informally by talking to the member of staff you were dealing with on the query. If this does not resolve the issue, ask for the name of their manager and contact them with your complaint. This is Stage 1 of our complaints process.

For full information you may wish to read our Compliments, suggestions and complaints policy.

Making your complaint, suggestion or compliment

You can submit your complaint, suggestion or compliment by email or letter or you can write to us using our online feedback form.

Send a feedback form

How we will deal with your complaint

Normally you will receive a response to your complaint within 10 working days. Please note that complex complaints may take longer to investigate.

Once the manager has responded, if you are unhappy with the way your complaint has been dealt with you can write to the relevant Director. This is Stage 2 of our process. Your complaint will be investigated further and again we will aim to respond within 10 working days.

If the complaint relates directly to the conduct of a Director the review will be carried out by their Strategic Director or the Chief Executive.

For complaints which relate to the conduct of a Strategic Director these will be reviewed by the other Strategic Director or the Chief Executive.

Complaints relating to the Chief Executive will be reviewed by the Leader of the Council.

If you are still not happy

Once the council's complaints procedure has concluded you have the right to refer the matter to the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman or the Housing Ombudsman.

You can find out more about the council's complaints procedure in our Complaints FAQ.


Annual Letter from the Ombudsman

The Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman looks at complaints about councils and some other authorities and organisations, including education admissions appeal panels and adult social care providers (such as care homes and home care providers). All councils receive an Annual Letter from the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman in which the Ombudsman reviews the complaints received against each council and how it has performed in dealing with complaints during that year.

To read the most recent Annual Letter for Uttlesford District Council, please visit the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman website.


Additional information

Compliments, suggestions and complaints policy

Abusive, persistent or vexatious complaints policy

Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman